Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] Agile Legacy Interop

Sebastian D. (Guest)
on 2006-02-20 18:15
I just wanted to announce my latest plugin: LegacyInterop

The 5 second video, minus the video, looks like this:
$ ./script/plugin install
svn://lirp.rubyforge.org/var/svn/lirp/trunk/legacy_interop

$ echo LegacyInterop.act_as_dotnet >> config/environment.rb

Done! Agile! Pragmatic!

The plugin includes support for a large number of legacy systems, all
using the "act_as" pattern.

act_as_dotnet
act_as_java
act_as_php
act_as_sh
act_as_perl

So for all those complaining about their bosses imposing a platform on
them.. I say: be free, be agile, use LegacyInterop.

Warning: void where prohibited.
Sascha E. (Guest)
Sebastian D. wrote:
> The plugin includes support for a large number of legacy systems, all
> using the "act_as" pattern.
>
> act_as_dotnet
> act_as_java
> act_as_php
> act_as_sh
> act_as_perl
>
> So for all those complaining about their bosses imposing a platform on
> them.. I say: be free, be agile, use LegacyInterop.

Interesting, if I understand correctly. Please explain a little more
what
you can do with that.

Saša Ebach
Ben M. (Guest)
Sascha E. wrote:
>> Done! Agile! Pragmatic!
>> So for all those complaining about their bosses imposing a platform on
>> them.. I say: be free, be agile, use LegacyInterop.
>

> Interesting, if I understand correctly. Please explain a little more
> what you can do with that.

I think Sebastian's joking...... pretty funny too.

Kyle M. (Guest)
On 2/20/06, Sebastian D. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> The plugin includes support for a large number of legacy systems, all
>
> Warning: void where prohibited.
>
> --

So what does it actually do?

--
Kyle M.
Chief Technologist

;)
Sascha E. (Guest)
> I think Sebastian's joking...... pretty funny too.

If he did, I fell for it ;)

Saša Ebach
Sebastian D. (Guest)
on 2006-02-20 20:28
Oh, I'm serious!!! or as serious as you can be when you're playing with
route recognition and generation.

Sascha E. wrote:
>> I think Sebastian's joking...... pretty funny too.
>
> If he did, I fell for it ;)
>
> Saša Ebach
Ben M. (Guest)
Sebastian D. wrote:
> Oh, I'm serious!!! or as serious as you can be when you're playing with
> route recognition and generation.

Huh. Well I'll be. Sorry about that Sebastian. Ok, what exactly does
your plugin do?

Sebastian D. (Guest)
on 2006-02-20 20:44
LegacyInterop.act_as_dotnet makes all your pages and links use the
"aspx" extension.

LegacyInterop.act_as_java makes all your pages and links use the "jsp"
extension.

LegacyInterop.act_as_php, act_as_sh, etc... they all work as expected.

Still not implemented are several features, like error pages, http
headers, response delays, simulated vulnerabilities, etc, etc. We could
use a hand implementing those.

Ben M. wrote:
> Sebastian D. wrote:
>> Oh, I'm serious!!! or as serious as you can be when you're playing with
>> route recognition and generation.
>

> Huh. Well I'll be. Sorry about that Sebastian. Ok, what exactly does
> your plugin do?

matthibcn (Guest)
Sebastian D. wrote:

>use a hand implementing those.

This is usefull and makes sense, when... ?!?

Matthi

am just curious about...
Sebastian D. (Guest)
on 2006-02-20 21:27
When your dumb boss tells you "but we need to use php".

Or when you want to keep the competition in the dark about the strategic
advantages of using Rails.

Or just because you just wanted to explore the routing code and had
nothing better to do.

matthibcn wrote:
> Sebastian D. wrote:
>
>>use a hand implementing those.
>>

> This is usefull and makes sense, when... ?!?
>
> Matthi
>
> am just curious about...
Mikkel B. (Guest)
You seem to be the right to aks this:

How do I set up a generic route point at /blabla/somestuff.txt

where somestuff could be the id of an actual stuffing ,-)

On Monday, February 20, 2006, at 6:41 PM, Kris L. wrote:

Mikkel B.

www.strongside.dk    - Football Portal(DK)
nflfeed.helenius.org - Football News(DK)
ting.minline.dk      - Buy Old Stuff!(DK)
Sebastian D. (Guest)
on 2006-02-20 22:50
The easiest way to deal with extensions is to create a route like

/blabla/:id/content.txt

Routing doesn't like extensions very much in the variable parts of
routes. It just considers them part of the :id.

You can also use "/blabla/:id", and have your model add ".txt" to it's
id's by defining the to_param method. (i.e. def to_param; "#{id}.txt";
end) and having your actions (or the find method for the model) take
care of removing the "txt".

Mikkel B. wrote:
> You seem to be the right to aks this:
>
> How do I set up a generic route point at /blabla/somestuff.txt
>
> where somestuff could be the id of an actual stuffing ,-)
>
> On Monday, February 20, 2006, at 6:41 PM, Kris L. wrote:
>

> Mikkel B.
>
> www.strongside.dk    - Football Portal(DK)
> nflfeed.helenius.org - Football News(DK)
> ting.minline.dk      - Buy Old Stuff!(DK)
Nathanael (Guest)
on 2007-02-07 15:35
d2ce0ca4c245e801fad36bde15f386a7
prestitofilettino </a>