Forum: Ruby can not access constants from Time module

akbarhome (Guest)

I want to know how many days a month has. So I lookup here:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Time.html

CommonYearMonthDays and LeapYearMonthDays constants do what I need. But
I cannot access them.

$ irb
irb(main):001:0> require "time"
=> true
irb(main):002:0> print Time::CommonYearMonthDays
NameError: uninitialized constant Time::CommonYearMonthDays
        from (irb):2

But I can access constants from another module, such as BLOCK_SIZE from
openssl/buffering module.

Any idea? Ruby 1.8.4 ( build from source ).

Thank you.
Robert K. (Guest)
akbarhome wrote:
> => true
> irb(main):002:0> print Time::CommonYearMonthDays
> NameError: uninitialized constant Time::CommonYearMonthDays
>         from (irb):2
>
> But I can access constants from another module, such as BLOCK_SIZE
> from openssl/buffering module.
>
> Any idea? Ruby 1.8.4 ( build from source ).
>
> Thank you.

Probably a documentation bug

11:22:19 [workspace]: ruby --version
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-cygwin]
11:22:26 [workspace]: ruby -r time -e 'puts Time.constants'
RFC2822_MONTH_NAME
RFC2822_DAY_NAME
11:22:34 [workspace]:

Kind regards

    robert
akbarhome (Guest)
So why does the documentation about Time module list the other
constants like:
ZoneOffset
LeapYearMonthDays
CommonYearMonthDays
MonthValue???

Do you have an idea?
Yukihiro M. (Guest)

In message "Re: can not access constants from Time module"
    on Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:23:30 +0900, "Robert K."
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

|> CommonYearMonthDays and LeapYearMonthDays constants do what I need.
|> But I cannot access them.

|Probably a documentation bug

They are constants defined in metaclass of Time.

							matz.