Forum: Ruby best way to use (exploit) mailing list.

John M. (Guest)
hey Chaps,

I've now got close to 12,000 emails stored on this box from this
mailing list. What methods do you chaps use to find stuff here?

grep (topic)
grep (module /class)
some pther thing?
Dae San H. (Guest)
Switch to Mac, it has a feature called "spotlight" which will search
all your emails (and other files) in few seconds.  It is truly amazing!

daesan
Michal S. (Guest)
On 2/18/06, John M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> hey Chaps,
>
> I've now got close to 12,000 emails stored on this box from this
> mailing list. What methods do you chaps use to find stuff here?
>
> grep (topic)
> grep (module /class)
> some pther thing?

Note that some emails may be encoded in weird ways making grep useless
for searching.
So you either need to search in an email client or in the web archives.
Alternatively, you could write a script to decode the mails or just
ignore the ones that are not readable (ie my emails are probably
base64 encoded or somesuch).

Thanks

Michal

--
             Support the freedom of music!
Maybe it's a weird genre  ..  but weird is *not* illegal.
John M. wrote:
> hey Chaps,
>
> I've now got close to 12,000 emails stored on this box from this
> mailing list. What methods do you chaps use to find stuff here?
>
> grep (topic)
> grep (module /class)
> some pther thing?

Hmmm... why not just use Google?
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby
Suraj K. (Guest)
Christian N. (Guest)
John M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

> hey Chaps,
>
> I've now got close to 12,000 emails stored on this box from this
> mailing list. What methods do you chaps use to find stuff here?
>
> grep (topic)
> grep (module /class)
> some pther thing?

Namazu and mairix, here.
Jacob Repp (Guest)
Sounds like a fun ruby problem. Write a simple word indexer and search
front end in ruby.
Robert K. (Guest)
Suraj K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iD8DBQFD92rgmV9O7RYnKMcRAohjAJ0R3rreaAUcM5p38NLTA73cklQp4QCeKEdt
> 71RNqa/rysV6NgqMTDJqJjo=
> =e6Br
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Also Namzu...
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/ruby/ruby-talk/index.shtml

.... and mailbox search on Gogglemail.

    robert
David V. (Guest)
DÅ?a Sobota 18 Február 2006 18:43 John M. napísal:
> hey Chaps,
>
> I've now got close to 12,000 emails stored on this box from this
> mailing list. What methods do you chaps use to find stuff here?
>
> grep (topic)
> grep (module /class)
> some pther thing?

Delete (*cackle*) everything older than a day I'm not interested in
after
skimming through the first post, rinse, repeat for replies. If I find
out I
need it later, Google to the rescue.

David V.
Tom R. (Guest)
Mozilla's mail program works very nicely searches old ruby emails.  I've
find it very useful
Tom R.