Forum: Ruby on Rails Accessing Yahoo!, Hotmail and Gmail address book?

softwareengineer 99 (Guest)
Just wondering if any one has been able to come up with a solution to
access Hotmail / Gmail / Yahoo address books via their ROR app?

  Thanks for any tips/guidance you can provide.

  Frank
John K. (Guest)
I think these companies would have to release an API for you to be
able to do it and I don't think any of them have an API for their
services... double check though.

I would assume if you did anything hack like it could break whenever
the respective companies did not like what you were doing.

I am not trying to be negative. :-)  Are you looking to always access
this information or is it a one time thing?  What exactly are you
trying to do?

Software engineer from where?  What school?

On 17-Feb-06, at 5:54 PM, softwareengineer 99 wrote:

> Rails mailing list
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

John K.
http://www.kopanas.com

MySpace allows you to import address book from all the providers. Also
the following sites are selling scripts for importing address book in
PHP

  http://www.improsys.com/importer.htm
  and
  http://www.addressbookimport.com/

  I graduated from http://www.ngcsu.edu with a dual degree in Accounting
and CIS.

  Frank

John K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:  I think these companies
would
have to release an API for you to be
able to do it and I don't think any of them have an API for their
services... double check though.

I would assume if you did anything hack like it could break whenever
the respective companies did not like what you were doing.

I am not trying to be negative. :-)  Are you looking to always access
this information or is it a one time thing?  What exactly are you
trying to do?

Software engineer from where?  What school?

On 17-Feb-06, at 5:54 PM, softwareengineer 99 wrote:

> Rails mailing list
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

John K.
http://www.kopanas.com

http://www.soen.info - source of the freshest software engineering
information on the net
http://cusec.soen.info - software engineering conference
Olly S (Guest)
on 2006-02-20 12:30
Plaxo have a free javascript widget that you might be able to use. Can
import from Hotmail, Yahoo, Plaxo, Gmail and Outlook and Outlook
Express.

More info here: http://www.plaxo.com/api/widget

Demo here: http://www.plaxo.com/api/widget_demo