Forum: Ruby on Rails RE: 'Best' IDE for testing and debugging

Hogan, Brian P. (Guest)
Bill:

If you're interested in Eclipse and RDT, I might suggest the setup I use
in my development. I find it much more useful than RadRails*** but you
have to build it yourself. (I do provide downloadable configuration
files and templates to speed up the process.

http://www.napcs.com/howto/railsonwindows.html

Screens here:
http://www.napcs.com/howto/railsonwindows-screens.html

*** RadRails http://www.radrails.org is coming along nicely though.
Oyku Gencay (Guest)
Great piece of writing.  del.icio.us'ed the link instantly.
Mark W. (Guest)
From: "Hogan, Brian P." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

>If you're interested in Eclipse and RDT, I might suggest the setup I use
>in my development. I find it much more useful than RadRails*** but you
>have to build it yourself. (I do provide downloadable configuration
>files and templates to speed up the process.

>http://www.napcs.com/howto/railsonwindows.html

I should say that I found Brian's instructions absolutely invaluable
when I
set up Eclipse and RDT.
Matt T. (Guest)
On 2/17/06, Hogan, Brian P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> http://www.napcs.com/howto/railsonwindows-screens.html
> To: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
> capabilities.
> plug-in development.

Does Eclipse, in any form, support code completion and/or code
formatting? By code completion I don't mean diving my method names
from objects, but more like when I type "def foo", it automatically
inserts "end" below it. Same thing for code formatting, when I type
"def foo" or "if object.empty?", it'll automatically indent me two
more spaces when hit enter, end  un-indent me when I type "end".

It's a deal-breaker for me and when I last tried Eclipse it didn't do
this. Am I just ignorant about how to turn this on?

Also, I've been mighty disappointed in Komodo. I loved Komodo for PHP
work, but it just isn't Ruby ready. The RHTML support is awful, the
debugging breaks your scripts more often than it works, and it lacks
all but the most basic niceties for Ruby editing.

Unfortunately, the best editor I've found that'll run on Windows is
jEdit. I say unfortunately because, being written in Java + SWING,
it's slow as all get out to use. It just has that sluggish Java bloat
to it that we all know and hate. It also takes a whole 'lotta
configuration to get up and running in any usable way. But even with
all of that, it still works the best. At least until UltraEdit gets
Ruby support or Komodo cleans up its act.

Really, a good editor is one of my biggest hang-ups with using Rails.
I love the framework to death, but actually writing code for it is an
excercise in constant frustration. I really wish TextMate would be
ported to Windows, it would really help Rails adoptation.

--
-Matt T.
Brian H. (Guest)

In an editor (rb or rhtml files) you can do CTRL + Spacebar and then
type
letters to start the completion process. It's actually very handy and
the
only way we get stuff done around here.

See http://www.napcs.com/howto/railsonwindows.html for details.

As I learn more about Rails, I add more to the template files for my
build.

And I just received some wonderful news today that just by using the Mac
version of Eclipse, my instructions can {mostly) be followed to make the
environment available on the Mac under OSX.

Instructions for Linux are coming soon, as I finally have it working on
Debian.
Ben M. (Guest)
Matt T. wrote:
> Does Eclipse, in any form, support code completion and/or code
> formatting? By code completion I don't mean diving my method names
> from objects, but more like when I type "def foo", it automatically
> inserts "end" below it. Same thing for code formatting, when I type
> "def foo" or "if object.empty?", it'll automatically indent me two
> more spaces when hit enter, end  un-indent me when I type "end".

Radrails does this (both standalone and plugin): type "def" and
ctrl-space in .rb file or
in <%%> in .rhtml and you should get code assist with "def - method
definition"
highlighted. Hit enter and it puts in the "def" and "end" with
"method_name" highlighted;
type the method name and it replaces "method_name".