Forum: Ruby on Rails Developing reusable components?

Adam F. (Guest)
Is there a development guide for best practices when making reusable
components?

For example, none of the login generators fit my requirements, and I
want to write my own. But after I'm done, I'll want to share it with
multiple applications.

Is there documentation for the right way to go about doing this?

--
				- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.everylastounce.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience
[ http://www.flickr.com/photos/fields ] ... Photos
[ http://www.aquicki.com/wiki ].............Wiki
[ http://del.icio.us/fields ] ............. Links
Jeremy Voorhis (Guest)
Right now, some alternatives include

* Building your own generators. This is not hard to do. Check out
Rails' migration generator for a simple example.
* Building a plugin.
* Sharing code with svn:externals or something similar

Another approach would be to place a generator inside of a plugin.
This would allow you to easily install/uninstall the generator across
many projects. We have used this approach with some success at PLANET
ARGON.

Cheers

On Feb 17, 2006, at 10:04 AM, Adam F. wrote:

> 				- Adam

  * Jeremy Voorhis, Lead Architect
  * PLANET ARGON, LLC Rails Development, Consulting & Hosting
  * Portland, Oregon  | p: 503.351.4730 | f: 815.642.4068
  * www.planetargon.com | www.jvoorhis.com