Forum: Ruby on Rails SQL Server pains

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Chris S. (Guest)
on 2006-02-17 15:45
I recently ran into the following problem:  when running 'rake
clone_structure_to_test', the task would spit out the following error
twice:

  This program requires Microsoft SQLDMO 7.0 or later

After many attempts to download this library, I reinstalled the SQL
Server Client Tools.  Still nothing.  I tracked down the program that
rake was having problems with:  scptxfr.exe.  Trying to run this program
by itself produced the same error, so I knew I had found the culprit.

What I found to be the solution is that, for some reason, the sqldmo.dll
library was no longer registered.  So, I went to:

  C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn

and ran the following:

  regsvr32 .\sqldmo.dll

This seems to have fixed the issue.

NOTE: I'm using ODBC to connect to SQL Server, and another issue I was
running into was that the rake tasks always look for the 'database' key
in the database.yml file, so it's important to have that value in there.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.