Forum: Ruby on Rails Firefox and IE performance with Rails App

Jack C. (Guest)
In my rails application, certain computers were having huge problems.
There were certain pages that were exceptionally slow, even to the point
of timing out. Other computers did not have a problem. I finally found
that Firefox was the difference. When using Firefox on those computers
it works fine. The slow pages were typically posting a form with a
couple hundred fields.

This behavior was the same with the rails server running on Windows,
Ruby 1.8.2, Apache2, FastCGI and also on Linux, Ruby 1.8.4, Lighttpd,
FastCGI.

  Any ideas what would cause this?

--
Jack C.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
>. The slow pages were typically posting a form with a
>couple hundred fields.
hylesanderson.com

What?!?!?!? a couple of hundred fields????

Im not surprised if IE breaks on this...

Mikkel B.

www.strongside.dk    - Football Portal(DK)
nflfeed.helenius.org - Football News(DK)
ting.minline.dk      - Buy Old Stuff!(DK)
Jake J. (Guest)
on 2006-02-16 20:54
Mikkel B. wrote:
>>. The slow pages were typically posting a form with a
>>couple hundred fields.
> hylesanderson.com
>
> What?!?!?!? a couple of hundred fields????
>
> Im not surprised if IE breaks on this...

He must be working with the IRS to do online tax form submission.

   Jake
Rick B. (Guest)
* Jake J. (removed_email_address@domain.invalid) [060216 13:57]:
> > What?!?!?!? a couple of hundred fields????
> >
> > Im not surprised if IE breaks on this...
>
> He must be working with the IRS to do online tax form submission.

Nah, probably just the symptoms checklist on the IE "report bug" form.

*ducks*

Rick
--
 http://www.rickbradley.com    MUPRN: 121
                       |  scientific Repo
   random email haiku  |  interest is compounded
                       |  continuously.
Jack C. (Guest)
On 16 Feb 2006, at 20:48, Jack C. wrote:

> It does seem quite possible that this is the cause -- but the
> fields only contain at most 3 letters. Combine that with the
> overhead of the field names and it still should only be posting
> 4-5KB. I would have hoped IE could handle that.

You're confusing reading a file and rendering it. Indeed the file is
at most 4-5 KB, but the amount of rendering and handling events
(input, ?) from the fields is quite intensive. Clearly IE has
problems with this.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt