GNU Radio Companion missing source

I just installed GNU on a Ubuntu 14.04 LTS machine.

Here is how I installed it: “sudo apt-get install gnuradio” All
appeared good, I thing typed “gnuradio-companion” and got the it up and
running.

Problem: On the right side of the display I am missing a few things, 1
of which is SOURCE. (SINK also is mission).

What did I do wrong?

Thanks
George

Which source?

I am trying to find the osmocom and/or RTL-SDR sources.

I’m running GNU Radio Companion 3.7.2.1

In GNC I did a search for osmocom and RTL-SDR and nothing was found.

What didn’t I setup correctly during the “sudo apt-get install gnuradio”
install?

Thanks
George

On 2014-08-25 08:58, GeorgeF wrote:

Problem: On the right side of the display I am missing a few things, 1 of which
is SOURCE. (SINK also is mission).

Discuss-gnuradio mailing list
[email protected]
Discuss-gnuradio Info Page [1]

Discuss-gnuradio mailing list
[email protected]
Discuss-gnuradio Info Page [1]

Links:

The ctrlport related warnings are ok (they are but warnings), the
segfault is bad; as you might imagine, it’s not the easiest thing to
debug.
However, I really hope you uninstalled Ubuntu’s gnuradio package first,
before using build-gnuradio?
Also, you’ll still have to install libhackrf and gr-osmosdr to get the
sources you were missing in the first place.

Greetings,
Marcus

On 25.08.2014 21:55, GeorgeF wrote:

One thing I tried was “wget http://www.sbrac.org/files/build-gnuradio && chmod
a+x ./build-gnuradio
&& ./build-gnuradio”

After almost 4 hours it completed. Didn’t notice any errors during
the build.

However now when I run gnuradio-companion I get:
Warning: Block key “blocks_crtlport_monitor” not found when loading
category tree.
Warning: Block key “blocks_ctrlport_monitor_performance” not found
when loading category tree.

One thing I tried was “wget http://www.sbrac.org/files/build-gnuradio &&
chmod a+x ./build-gnuradio && ./build-gnuradio”

After almost 4 hours it completed. Didn’t notice any errors during the
build.

However now when I run gnuradio-companion I get:
Warning: Block key “blocks_crtlport_monitor” not found when loading
category tree.
Warning: Block key “blocks_ctrlport_monitor_performance” not found when
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

What am I missing?

George

I recently had the same ‘segmentation fault’ error which was due to
having
‘gr-baz’ installed. See this post for info on debugging the segmentation
fault:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2013-11/msg00232.html

Essentially, run the following:

gbd --args python $(which gnuradio-companion)
run
#wait for crash
bt

Look at the top of the output for a gr module that looks suspicious, in
my
case uninstalling gr-baz fixed the issue.

I’d highly recommend using the pybombs technique to install GNU Radio as
non-root user. It also allows you to install and uninstall GNU Radio
and
lots of other stuff as simply as running the following:

./pybombs install uhd gnuradio hackrf

The url for the pybombs wiki is here:

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/pybombs/wiki

If you choose this route, make sure you uninstall everything related to
uhd/gnuradio/hackrf/osmosdr etc by manually going into each project’s
‘build’ folder and typing:

sudo make uninstall

…and then run a final check by searching for anything related to
uhd/gnuradio.hackrf/osmosdr etc by running the following:

sudo find / -name gnuradio

Mike

Mike J. M0MIK BSc MIET
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://scanoo.com

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 9:23 PM, Marcus Müller
[email protected]

On 08/26/2014 10:18 AM, Mike J. wrote:

I recently had the same ‘segmentation fault’ error which was due to
having ‘gr-baz’ installed. See this post for info on debugging the
segmentation fault:

Yes, this can happen with other packages as well (gr-osmosdr, for
example) if you are running this module as built against a different GR
version than you have installed.

Thanks Mike for the suggestion.

I put together a fresh Ubuntu system, installed git, cmail,
libusb-1.0-0-dev and build-essential as well as openssh-server. So
nothing else to get in the way.

I think did the pybombs. It appeared to all compile and link fine. Took
a bit over 2 hours (semi-slow machine).

Now when I type “gnuradio-companion” I get a message saying
gnuradio-companion not installed, it suggests I do the sudo apt-get
install gnuradio.

I thought by doing the pybombs that was all to be included? what am I
missing now?

Thanks
George

Ok I am getting much farther along.

I did the “./pybombs env” command. Then it told me to run: “source
/home/av8tor/target/setup_env.sh” which I did. Once I did that I could
run gnuradio-companion and it started just fine.

However I’m still at a loss as to what I need to run in order to get
[Sources] block to appear in order to choose either osmocom Source or
RTL-SDR Source.

To recap, in order to get to this point I did the following on my Ubuntu
computer:
./pybombs install uhd gnuradio hackrf
./pybombs env
source /home/av8tor/target/setup_env.sh

What else do I need and how do I install it.

Its been many many years since I’ve programmed on Unix, and done very
little so far no Linux.

Thanks for everyone’s patience.
George

./pybombs install uhd gnuradio hackrf
./pybombs env
source /home/av8tor/target/setup_env.sh

What else do I need and how do I install it.

./pybombs install gr-osmosdr

Cheers,

Sylvain

Maybe you’ve installed it into a prefix?
you can run “pybombs env” to get a file that you can use to set up
your paths correctly :slight_smile:

Greetings,
Marcus

On 26.08.2014 20:38, GeorgeF wrote:

gnuradio-companion not installed, it suggests I do the sudo

the segmentation fault:

Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] I am getting a Segmentation fault (core dumped) e

Essentially, run the following:

the following:

mailto:[email protected] Web: http://scanoo.com
still have to install libhackrf and gr-osmosdr to get the

After almost 4 hours it completed. Didn’t notice any errors

[1]Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio Companion missing source

I’m unable to solve the segmentation fault issue.
I install gnuradio from the script. When i run gnuradio-companion, I
get:

Warning: Restarting the Docstring Loader (crashed while loading
‘osmosdr_source’)
Warning: Restarting the Docstring Loader (crashed while loading
‘osmosdr_sink’)

Then it suddenly crashed when I use any of the osmocom blocks and says

Segmentation Fault(core dumped)

What do I do?

Thanks Sylvain and others.

I finally got it working! I’m not getting GNC to work pretty well with
my cheap dongle Thanks to all those who responded.

George
www.MilAirComms.com