Forum: Ruby newbie trouble with RubyGems

Don (Guest)
on 2006-02-16 02:41
This is a newbie question.  I used OneClick to install Ruby onto my
Windows XP machine. OneClick installed RubyGems. When I try the command

       gem list â??remote

the commands prints

     *** REMOTE GEMS ***

to the console and then just hangs.  Is there some config file somewhere
where I am supposed to tell â??gemâ? where to look for remote gems?
Jim W. (Guest)
on 2006-02-16 07:53
Don wrote:
> This is a newbie question.  I used OneClick to install Ruby onto my
> Windows XP machine. OneClick installed RubyGems. When I try the command
>
>        gem list â??remote
>
> the commands prints
>
>      *** REMOTE GEMS ***
>
> to the console and then just hangs.  Is there some config file somewhere
> where I am supposed to tell â??gemâ? where to look for remote gems?

If you are behind a firewall and need an http proxy, make sure that you
have your http_proxy environment variable set correctly.

And sometimes the command takes a few minutes to complete when
downloading the master gem index from rubyforge.  Make sure that it is
really hung and not just slow.

-- Jim W.
David V. (Guest)
DÅ?a Å tvrtok 16 Február 2006 06:54 Jim W. napísal:
> And sometimes the command takes a few minutes to complete when
> downloading the master gem index from rubyforge.  Make sure that it is
> really hung and not just slow.

Is local caching of the gem index in the works by any chance?

David V.
Jim W. (Guest)
on 2006-02-16 16:24
David V. wrote:
> Is local caching of the gem index in the works by any chance?

The gem index is already locally cached.  The problem is that the index
updates so often that it needs refreshed often.

What is in the works is an incremental refresh so that you only download
the portion of the index that has changed, instead of the entire index.

--
-- Jim W.