Forum: Ruby on Rails VPS hosting

Adam F. (Guest)
Speaking of hosting, have any of you used a VPS provider that offers
gentoo as the VPS OS? All of the ones I know of use fedora, debian,
ubuntu, or CentOS.

--
				- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.everylastounce.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience
[ http://www.flickr.com/photos/fields ] ... Photos
[ http://www.aquicki.com/wiki ].............Wiki
[ http://del.icio.us/fields ] ............. Links
Daniel W. (Guest)
While their web site doesn't say it explicitly, I'm sure they could
setup a Gentoo VPS for you. E-mail them and ask.

www.rimuhosting.com

- Rabbit
Jonathan Y. (Guest)
I'm using gentoo with VPS Land. http://vpsland.com/

I've had it for about 5 months and am extremely happy with it.
Customer service is excellent as well.

-Jonathan
Warren N. (Guest)
On 15-Feb-06, at 1:22 PM, Adam F. wrote:

> Speaking of hosting, have any of you used a VPS provider that offers
> gentoo as the VPS OS? All of the ones I know of use fedora, debian,
> ubuntu, or CentOS.

Quantact: http://www.quantact.com/

They are just too good :)

Best Regards,
Warren N..
GNU (http://www.gnu.org.in)

Best Regards,
Warren N..
GNU (http://www.gnu.org.in)
Aaron K. (Guest)
On 2/15/06, Adam F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

I'm not a company.  Just a private individual.  I'm offering hosting
to a few individuals on my Gentoo servers that are in a colocation
facility.  I can't offer as many perks as the big names, but I think I
can give you more bang for your buck.

Contact me directly if you have questions.
Aaron K. (Guest)
On 2/15/06, Aaron K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > ****** [ http://www.everylastounce.com ]
> > Rails mailing list

I apologize.  That should have been my gmail address.
On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 01:28:07PM -0800, Jonathan Y. wrote:
> I'm using gentoo with VPS Land. http://vpsland.com/
>
> I've had it for about 5 months and am extremely happy with it.
> Customer service is excellent as well.

Their memory allocations seem pretty sparse. Are you running a public
service on this, or using it for development? Are you swapping?

--
				- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.everylastounce.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience
[ http://www.flickr.com/photos/fields ] ... Photos
[ http://www.aquicki.com/wiki ].............Wiki
[ http://del.icio.us/fields ] ............. Links
Barry W. (Guest)
unixshell.com supports gentoo.
Michael T. (Guest)
Linode (www.linode.com) supports it.

Michael T.
Ben M. (Guest)
I rent a dedicated rack unit at tek alchemy (http://tek.net/) and have
had great service.
Had one hardware issue and one move of the data center, but they were
johnny on the spot.

They have hosting services too, but I haven't used them, so I can't
vouch for that.

Oh, and they've had an ad on the gentoo home page forever because one of
their guys was an
early contributor to gentoo. They definitely prefer gentoo over the
other OSes they offer
and are very knowledgable about it.

Now, I don't see anything about rails on their site, so this may all be
moot on a rails
list. But, couldn't hurt to talk to them about adding rails. And, if you
went with a
dedicated server, you'd have full control... you can install anything
you want. It's a bit
pricier, but if you can line up a handful of clients to cover your
monthly bill it's
definitely worth it.

Alex Y. (Guest)
Adam F. wrote:
> Speaking of hosting, have any of you used a VPS provider that offers
> gentoo as the VPS OS? All of the ones I know of use fedora, debian,
> ubuntu, or CentOS.

http://bytemark.co.uk.  I had a gentoo server with them before they put
their compile farm in (which is going back a bit now), and it was pretty
flawless.
Jonathan Y. (Guest)
I'm running the VPS Pro Plus Account with 256MB RAM allocated. While
it would be nice to have more RAM it hasn't felt like I've needed it.

I'm running 2 typo installations, 1 collaboa installation, MySQL,
exim, dovecot, spam assassin and clamav.

This is the top part of my top :)

top - 05:39:03 up 51 days, 21:01,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00,
0.00
Tasks:  59 total,   2 running,  57 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  0.0% us,  0.0% sy,  0.0% ni, 100.0% id,  0.0% wa,  0.0% hi,
0.0% si
Mem:    256604k total,   252884k used,     3720k free,    36608k buffers
Swap:   524280k total,    98024k used,   426256k free,    58536k cached

-Jonathan