Forum: Ruby Port of Perl's Parse::AFP?

Scott (Guest)
Has anyone had the need to port the Perl library Parse::AFP to Ruby?
I'm trying to use the Perl version right now and I'm having some nasty
memory usage issues (iterating through a 21MB AFP file consumes over
1GB of RAM).  Since I dont know Perl very well, a Ruby version would
really help me out if it didnt have the same issues.

Thanks,
Scott
Xavier N. (Guest)
On Feb 15, 2006, at 18:08, Scott wrote:

> Has anyone had the need to port the Perl library Parse::AFP to Ruby?
> I'm trying to use the Perl version right now and I'm having some nasty
> memory usage issues (iterating through a 21MB AFP file consumes over
> 1GB of RAM).  Since I dont know Perl very well, a Ruby version would
> really help me out if it didnt have the same issues.

Just as a quick note Parse::AFP was written by Audrey Tang, of Pugs
fame. She said in this interview:

     http://perl.com/lpt/a/2005/03/03/pugs_interview.html

that the problem in the Perl module was that Perl 5 did not have copy-
on-write by then. She rewrote it in Haskell and the difference in
performance and LOCs was really remarkable.

I don't know whether this, in her opinion, intrisic limitation is
found in Ruby as of today.

-- fxn
Austin Z. (Guest)
On 2/16/06, Xavier N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> that the problem in the Perl module was that Perl 5 did not have copy-
> on-write by then. She rewrote it in Haskell and the difference in
> performance and LOCs was really remarkable.
>
> I don't know whether this, in her opinion, intrisic limitation is
> found in Ruby as of today.

Ruby's strings are COW.

-austin
Scott (Guest)