Forum: Ruby gem/rdoc/ri errors on mingw

Alex C. (Guest)
Hello,
yesterday I switched from the very good, perfectly functional
one-click installer to a build-it-yourself-ruby-compile on winXP
with the mingw environment.

All went very smoothly.
Great documents on setting up mingw/msys here
http://mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/RealDumbQuicks...

and Great documents on building ruby on windows here
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?HowToBuildOnWindows

Follow this up, by getting ruby-gnome2 setup with this wonderful doc
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Install...

Mingw works! Ruby works! Ruby-Gnome works!

...rdoc doesnt work.. ri doesnt work..  gem doesnt either... big uhohs!!

Here is some output:

$> ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2006-02-14) [i386-mingw32]
$>cd /c/ruby/build/ruby
$> make install-doc
Generating RDoc documentation
./miniruby.exe ./runruby.rb --extout=.ext -- "./bin/rdoc" --all --ri
--op "C:/ruby/share/ri/1.8/system" "."
c:/ruby/build/ruby/lib/tracer.rb:27:in `(null)': undefined method `[]'
for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
        from c:/ruby/build/ruby/lib/rdoc/parsers/parse_rb.rb:16:in
`(null)'
        from c:/ruby/build/ruby/lib/rdoc/rdoc.rb:8:in `(null)'
        from ./bin/rdoc:59
make: *** [do-install-doc] Error 1
$> gem
sh: gem: command not found
$> rdoc
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/tracer.rb:27:in `(null)': undefined method `[]'
for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
        from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/parsers/parse_rb.rb:16:in
`(null)'
        from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/rdoc.rb:8:in `(null)'
        from c:/ruby/bin/rdoc:59
$> ri

Installing Documentation
------------------------
'ri' uses a database of documentation built by the RDoc utility.

So, how do you install this documentation on your system? It depends on
how you installed Ruby.

_If you installed Ruby from source files_ (that is, if it some point you
typed 'make' during the process :), you can install the RDoc
documentation yourself. Just go back to the place where you have your
Ruby source and type

   make install-doc

You'll probably need to do this as a superuser, as the documentation is
installed in the Ruby target tree (normally somewhere under
+/usr/local+.

_If you installed Ruby from a binary distribution_ (perhaps using a
one-click installer, or using some other packaging system), then the
team that produced the package probably forgot to package the
documentation as well. Contact them, and see if they can add it to the
next release.

No ri documentation found in:

Was rdoc run to create documentation?
$>

Anyone know how to properly setup a ruby compile so that gem/ri/rdoc
will work as expected? Anyone have a clue why 'make install-doc' fails?

Thanks for any help.
Daniel Völkerts (Guest)
Alex C. schrieb:

> $> gem
> sh: gem: command not found

This is what I call (ruby one-click-installer on Windows):

1. In my path there is an entry for c:\ruby\bin
2. In my ruby\bin directory, there is a file called gem.bat (this one is
started by windows if you type gem)

3. This gem file contains one beautiful line
"c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby\bin\gem" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

So my guess is, make sure you have the gem ruby file installed (get it
from rubyforge? I doesn't exactly know where to download gem as I use
the one-click-stuff) and create this batch file.

HTH,
Jim W. (Guest)
on 2006-02-15 14:26
Alex C. wrote:
[...]
> Anyone know how to properly setup a ruby compile so that gem/ri/rdoc
> will work as expected? Anyone have a clue why 'make install-doc' fails?
>
> Thanks for any help.

http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/3 should help with RubyGems.
Alex C. (Guest)
On 2/15/06, Jim W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/3 should help with RubyGems.

Thanks Jim, installed gem from ruby forge. Boy, that was easy.

Any clues about rdoc and ri?
Still no worky.

I wonder if documentation is really nessisary though? Sure its nice, but
is there any difference between having it local and viewing it on
ruby-doc ?

I guess the difference would be if I ever needed to write my own
documentation.
Alex C. (Guest)
On 2/14/06, Daniel Völkerts <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> 3. This gem file contains one beautiful line
> "c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby\bin\gem" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
>
> So my guess is, make sure you have the gem ruby file installed (get it
> from rubyforge? I doesn't exactly know where to download gem as I use
> the one-click-stuff) and create this batch file.

Thank Daniel,
Yeah I was using the one-click installer which was
really nice, but I figured it would be good to have ruby
built from scratch however it seems there are some hidden gotchas.

I'll post back if I figure out why make-doc isnt working.
David V. (Guest)
DÅ?a Streda 15 Február 2006 17:53 Alex C. napísal:
> I wonder if documentation is really nessisary though? Sure its nice, but
> is there any difference between having it local and viewing it on ruby-doc
> ?

Well, the online version is faster than ri ;)

But at least a working rdoc is somewhat important, I'd say.

David V.
James B. (Guest)
David V. wrote:
> DÅ?a Streda 15 Február 2006 17:53 Alex C. napísal:
>
>>I wonder if documentation is really nessisary though? Sure its nice, but
>>is there any difference between having it local and viewing it on ruby-doc
>>?
>>

> Well, the online version is faster than ri ;)

So *that's* why my bandwidth is going through the roof.

:)

> But at least a working rdoc is somewhat important, I'd say.

I would think so, unless you have a guaranteed Net connection.

--
James B.

"You harmonize; then you customize."
  - Wilson Pickett
David V. (Guest)
DÅ?a Streda 15 Február 2006 23:14 James B. napísal:
> David V. wrote:
> > DÃ?Ë?a Streda 15 FebruÃ?¡r 2006 17:53 Alex C. napÃ?­sal:
> >>I wonder if documentation is really nessisary though? Sure its nice, but
> >>is there any difference between having it local and viewing it on
> >> ruby-doc ?
> >
> > Well, the online version is faster than ri ;)
>
> So *that's* why my bandwidth is going through the roof.

Well, I have a crappy CPU, and a wonderful cable connection.

david@chello082119107152:~$ time ri -T Array#[]
(snip)
real    0m0.876s
user    0m0.589s
sys     0m0.108s

david@chello082119107152:~$ ping -c 1 ruby-doc.org
PING ruby-doc.org (207.44.206.37) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from tagbomb.com (207.44.206.37): icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=152 ms

And unless you set that wossname header to no-cache globally, the strain
can't
be that horrible. At least not from us Opera users.

> :)
> :
> > But at least a working rdoc is somewhat important, I'd say.
>
> I would think so, unless you have a guaranteed Net connection.

I meant for documentation generation actually.

David V.