Forum: Ruby Ruby- interactions with Appservers such as Oracle/Jboss

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Arjun Khanna (Guest)
on 2006-02-14 18:31
Hi:
I am evaluating using Ruby to build an enterprise application. I expect
that the application setup will include a browser [ie], a (1)webserver
such as apache and an (2)application server such as that provided by
Oracle/Jboss (3)the data base.

Before starting on such a project, I wanted to find out  if there any
known issues related to ruby interacting with application EJB's [j2ee
compliant]. Is there a specific weblog/documentation set where I can
readup about known issues?

Are there any example applications available for download where one can
see a prototype application built using Ruby + Jboss [or equivalent
freeware]?

Thanks in advance.
Arjun Khanna.
James B. (Guest)
on 2006-02-14 19:08
(Received via mailing list)
Arjun Khanna wrote:
...

> Before starting on such a project, I wanted to find out  if there any
> known issues related to ruby interacting with application EJB's [j2ee
> compliant]. Is there a specific weblog/documentation set where I can
> readup about known issues?

You should have a medical team on hand, as J2EE developers, after
exposure to Ruby, have a high risk of head explosion when they return to
coding EJBs.

Just a heads up.




--
James B.

http://www.ruby-doc.org       - Ruby Help & Documentation
http://www.artima.com/rubycs/ - The Journal By & For Rubyists
http://www.rubystuff.com      - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
http://www.jamesbritt.com     - Playing with Better Toys
http://www.30secondrule.com   - Building Better Tools
Arjun Khanna (Guest)
on 2006-02-14 19:17
Thanks much. I am really glad to hear that Ruby development is a lot
easier than EJBs. However, there is some logic already embedded in the
EJB's and there is a fair chance of saving execution time by re-using
that logic. So my question still stands- Are there any known
projects/weblogs/documentation-sets where I can readup on success or
problems related to integrating, making calls outs to EJB's from Ruby.
Thanks in advance for your help. I appreciate it.

Arjun.

James B. wrote:
> Arjun Khanna wrote:
> ...
>
>> Before starting on such a project, I wanted to find out  if there any
>> known issues related to ruby interacting with application EJB's [j2ee
>> compliant]. Is there a specific weblog/documentation set where I can
>> readup about known issues?
>
> You should have a medical team on hand, as J2EE developers, after
> exposure to Ruby, have a high risk of head explosion when they return to
> coding EJBs.
>
> Just a heads up.
>
>
>
>
> --
> James B.
>
> http://www.ruby-doc.org       - Ruby Help & Documentation
> http://www.artima.com/rubycs/ - The Journal By & For Rubyists
> http://www.rubystuff.com      - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
> http://www.jamesbritt.com     - Playing with Better Toys
> http://www.30secondrule.com   - Building Better Tools
David V. (Guest)
on 2006-02-14 21:52
(Received via mailing list)
DÅ?a Utorok 14 Február 2006 18:06 James B. napísal:
> You should have a medical team on hand, as J2EE developers, after
> exposure to Ruby, have a high risk of head explosion when they return to
> coding EJBs.
>
> Just a heads up.

Sooo, head explosions are now treatable by paramedics? Oh joy, now I can
fulfill item no. 7 on my Things To Do Before I Die: Establish a world
record
in the amount of lit firecrackers I can fit into my mouth :P

David V.
James B. (Guest)
on 2006-02-14 22:29
(Received via mailing list)
Arjun Khanna wrote:
> Thanks much. I am really glad to hear that Ruby development is a lot
> easier than EJBs. However, there is some logic already embedded in the
> EJB's and there is a fair chance of saving execution time by re-using
> that logic. So my question still stands- Are there any known
> projects/weblogs/documentation-sets where I can readup on success or
> problems related to integrating, making calls outs to EJB's from Ruby.
> Thanks in advance for your help. I appreciate it.


I believe Obie F.' forthcoming book will cover these sorts of
things.


--
James B.

http://www.ruby-doc.org       - Ruby Help & Documentation
http://www.artima.com/rubycs/ - The Journal By & For Rubyists
http://www.rubystuff.com      - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
http://www.30secondrule.com   - Building Better Tools
Geoff L. (Guest)
on 2006-02-15 00:09
(Received via mailing list)
Well, you can definitely expose the EJBs as Web Services and access them
using Ruby that way. Is that what you are talking about?

If so . . .

SOAP4R provides everything you need to work with SOAP Services. The
current release works best with RPC-literal services, but the latest
from the source trunk greatly improves Document-literal support.

wsdl2ruby can generate classes for you so that you don't have to guess
about the code generated.

Some example code:

require 'service'

service =
SOAP::WSDLDriverFactory.new('http://example.com/services/Contacts').create_rpc_driver
service.generate_explicit_type = true
service.wiredump_dev = STDOUT if $DEBUG

result = service.SearchContacts(SearchContactsRequest.new('some_name'))
if result.contacts.length > 0
     result.contacts.each { |c| print_contact(c) }
else
     puts "No contacts found..."
end
Dean W. (Guest)
on 2006-02-15 04:07
(Received via mailing list)
The forthcoming Pragmatic book "Enterprise Integration with Ruby" may
be helpful. The preview PDF doesn't discuss interfacing to EJB's, per
se, but it does go over options for communicating with non-ruby
systems.

Also, take a look at JSON (Javascript Object Notation:
http://www.json.org/), which is supported in many languages and is
becoming a popular & lightweight protocol for data passing, including
AJAX applications.

HTH,

dean

On 2/14/06, Geoff L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> about the code generated.
> result = service.SearchContacts(SearchContactsRequest.new('some_name'))
> > such as apache and an (2)application server such as that provided by
> >
>
--
Dean W.
http://www.aspectprogramming.com
http://www.newaspects.com
http://www.contract4j.org
Tim K. (Guest)
on 2006-02-16 08:30
(Received via mailing list)
Are you specifically talking about integration with Rails or are you
considering using something like JRuby to run Ruby code within JBoss?

Tim K.
unknown (Guest)
on 2006-03-10 20:11
(Received via mailing list)
Hi,

I am interested to know how you made out with your work. I am
interested in doing the same as you.

Did you find any resources with information on how to make calls to
EJBs from Ruby?

If anyone could help, that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Tony

P.S. I've purchased "Enterprise Integration with Rails" and read it but
have not found how to set up, or make calls to an EJB.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.