Forum: Ruby Mongrel 0.3.2 Strangely Silent

Jim W. (Guest)
on 2006-02-14 14:34
I wanted to check out the latest ruby craze: Mongrel.  So I installed
mongrel as a gem, whipped up a small example based on the docs.  But no
joy.   Running the script shows no output on the terminal and a browser
trying to load the url just keeps spinning the "in-progress" indicator.

Here's the script:

------------------------------------
#!/usr/bin/env ruby

require 'mongrel'

class SimpleHandler < Mongrel::HttpHandler
  def process(request, response)
    response.start(200) do |head,out|
      head["Content-Type"] = "text/plain"
      out.write("hello!\n")

h = Mongrel::HttpServer.new("0.0.0.0", "3030")
h.register("/test", SimpleHandler.new)
h.register("/files", Mongrel::DirHandler.new("."))
h.run.join

The web addess I tried was http://localhost:3030.  Also tried
http://traken:3030 (where traken is the name of the host).  I also tried
using "localhost" explicitly in the script instead of "0.0.0.0".

What am I missing here?

--
-- Jim W.
Jim W. (Guest)
Jim W. wrote:
> The web addess I tried was http://localhost:3030.  Also tried
> http://traken:3030 (where traken is the name of the host).  I also tried
> using "localhost" explicitly in the script instead of "0.0.0.0".

Just to be clear ... I also tried the http://localhost:3030/files and
http://localhost:3030/test too.  Debugging prints added to the "process"
method in the script reveals that it never gets called.

--
-- Jim W.
Zed S. (Guest)

Yeah, looks like I didn't regression test the new timeout code outside
of
Ruby on Rails.  Doh!

Your stuff should run if you do ruby -rtimeout for now.  I'm posting a
new
release as we speak to include this one-line fix.

Thanks for catching it.

Zed
Zed S. (Guest)
Alright, fix is out.  Grab the 0.3.3 release when you can (and when the
mirrors update) and try it all again.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/