Forum: Ruby on Rails Calling find()

Julian I. (Guest)
Hello,
Nobody reply on my previous post, so from one day i`m asking on the irc
channel, and no response too. I try to generate scaffold code, on my
problem, to see how it handle this, but the result is the same ...

When I do generate scaffold Products/Category
I get controller with name Products::Category and model with name
Category,
Now in the same application if I do generate scaffold
Phonebook/Category, my

Previous category model is replaced.

When I manually create model Products/Category and Phonebook/Category, I
cannot use the model or truly I doesn`t know how to use it.

Please, provide some solution on my minor problem.
Byron S. (Guest)
You'll need to merge them manually - what problems arose when you tried
doing this?

Why are you using "Products/Category" and "Phonebook/Category"? Perhaps
you
really just need three domain objects - Phonebook, Product, and Category
with some relationships in between. For instance:

class Product < ActiveRecord::Base
  belongs_to   :category
end
class Phonebook < ActiveRecord::Base
  belongs_to   :category
end
class Category < ActiveRecord::Base
  has_many :products
  has_many :phonebooks
end

Not sure if that's helpful but perhaps with more info I can be more
helpful.

- Byron
Julian I. (Guest)
Hello,

I`m building application, which have features user to have Phonebook and
Contacts, each of these features can be categorized in

categories and subcategories. That`s why I need to have
Phonebook/Category
and Contacts/Category, if someone can provide better

approach, please share it.

I`m trying to escape the 3 object solution, because I doesn`t want to
load
up my Phonebook controller with stuffs about the category. I want

to separate category somehow from the Phonebook, because Phonebook will
be
responsible only for the numbers mainly. I`m not sure is this right.

  _____

On 2/14/06, Julian I. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

Hello,
Nobody reply on my previous post, so from one day i`m asking on the irc
channel, and no response too. I try to generate scaffold code, on my
problem, to see how it handle this, but the result is the same ...

When I do generate scaffold Products/Category
I get controller with name Products::Category and model with name
Category,
Now in the same application if I do generate scaffold
Phonebook/Category, my

Previous category model is replaced.

When I manually create model Products/Category and Phonebook/Category, I
cannot use the model or truly I doesn`t know how to use it.

Please, provide some solution on my minor problem.

The Product::Category is an code organizational grouping not a data
relationship. You should definitely be using three objects related to
each
other as above.

This also gives you the ability to pull up a category and see all the
Products or Phonebooks that relate to it.

I don't think that performance should be your primary concern at this
point.
Just get the code to work now in an understandable way and then do some
profiling to find where the problems are if you're not happy with the
performance.

- Byron