Forum: Ruby-Forum.com please help...those who know ruby!!!!!!

brenda (Guest)
on 2006-02-14 09:02
why is it that line 3 of this code will get an error:

"You have a nil object when you didn't expect it!
The error occured while evaluating nil.Workstation_name"

1: <h1>Inventory Files</h1>
2:
3: <%= @inventoryfile.Workstation_name %>
4: Location:<%= @workstationfile.Location %>

pls...........help!!!!!!!!111
Lionel O. (Guest)
on 2006-02-17 14:23
brenda wrote:
> why is it that line 3 of this code will get an error:
>
> "You have a nil object when you didn't expect it!
> The error occured while evaluating nil.Workstation_name"
>
> 1: <h1>Inventory Files</h1>
> 2:
> 3: <%= @inventoryfile.Workstation_name %>
> 4: Location:<%= @workstationfile.Location %>

If Ruby tries to evaluate nil.Workstation_name, it means that
@workstationfile=nil.
In other words, this instance variable doesn't exist. You may be missing
some initialization...