Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] FreeMIS 1.0 Released

Robert J. (Guest)
FreeMIS is an open source management information system for schools,
built
with Ruby on Rails.  I haven't come across any other big open source
projects using Rails so far - if nothing else, the availability of the
source code might be useful for learners looking for ideas?

If anyone would be interested in helping to develop FreeMIS, please get
in
touch.

Details here:

Source code here:

http://www.freemis.net/svn/freemis/trunk

--
Robert J.
jonesieboy[at]google's-mail-thing[dot]com

> Details here:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=539444

The two important links referenced in that page (*.freemis.net) don't
work.

Would be interested to try out a demo or see some screenshots or some
documentation. Especially about how easily the system can be
internationalized.

Patrice
Robert J. (Guest)
Hi Patrice.  All the sites weem to be working - must have been a server
glitch.

I18n is not something I've put any energy into, partly because of the
lack
of support for it in Rails (though Globalize Rails looks promising).
The
amount of text that would require translation is pretty small.  If you
are
still interested after you've checked out the demo, please contact me!

Robert
Keith Donaldson (Guest)
Robert:

What is the relationship between SchoolTool and FreeMIS?

Thanks,

kd
Robert J. (Guest)
Hi Keith.  FreeMIS is described by Tom Hoffman from Schooltool as
"Schooltool's Ruby cousin".

We talk to each other, but the two project are entirely independent of
each
other.  FreeMIS has used some of Schooltool's css styling and navigation
layout - that's the beauty of  open source: a GPL project can use
whatever it
finds that's useful from any other GPL project.

I was, at one point, considering joining the SchoolTool development
team, but
after spending a few weeks looking at Zope3 at the same time that I was
learning Rails, I decided to stick with Rails and FreeMIS.

SchoolTool has enormous potential, and of course the backing of Mark
Shuttleworth, so I would definitely recommend folk to check it out.

Robert