Forum: Ruby HELP!! Installing Rails on OS X breaks irb??

John N. Alegre (Guest)
OK .. I need help.

According to the info out on the Hivelogic site for Rails to work on OS
X I
had to do a build and install of Ruby and Rails to /usr/local.  I did so
and Rails is working fine.  However when I try to use irb I get this
error ..

salamanca:~ jna$ irb
dyld: NSLinkModule() error
dyld: Symbol not found: _rl_completion_matches
  Referenced
from: /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.4.0/readline.bundle
  Expected in: flat namespace

Trace/BPT trap

If I use the installed /usr/bin/irb everything works fine.  What did I
break?  Another question is if the Hivelogic info is correct.  Is there
way to get Rails working with stock OS X ruby.

(I have OS X 10.4.3 which comes with Ruby 1.8)

All comments welcome .. PLEASE

john
Tim Heaney (Guest)
"John N. Alegre" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

> If I use the installed /usr/bin/irb everything works fine.  What did I
> break?  Another question is if the Hivelogic info is correct.  Is there a
> way to get Rails working with stock OS X ruby.
>
> (I have OS X 10.4.3 which comes with Ruby 1.8)

I had readline troubles with Ruby 1.8.4 too (I have OS X 10.3, which
came with a much older version of Ruby, but I had already upgraded to
to Ruby 1.8 without trouble). I finally gave up trying to fix it
myself and installed the DarwinPorts version of Ruby 1.8.4. Then I had
no trouble with Ruby on Rails. Here's what worked for me

  http://hammer.prohosting.com/~theaney/RubyOnRails/osx.html

I hope this helps,

Tim
John N. Alegre (Guest)