Forum: Ruby Framework for storing objects in a relational database

Thomas G. (Guest)
on 2006-02-12 16:03
Hi Rubyists!

I know, off course, that there is an implementation of the active record
pattern available. And for using it with Rails for tasks of midrange
complexity I consider it to be perfect.

But since this aproach suffers from some limitations, I would like to
know if there are efforts on the way to build a fully featured
DataGateWay/UnitOfWork/IdentityMap Framework?

I would prefer having it done this way because of the following problems
in my daily work:

- No control over the database layout (this is supposed to happen very
often)

- Business logic far beyond the point of CRUD operations

- I don't want to have database like operations (i.e save) in the domain
code, all I want there is sending the commit/abort signal to the Unit of
Work. I want to be totaly indepent from the database. This feels more
"correct" to me.

Who knows something about this subject, or is there a better place for a
discussion about it?

Thomas
Jacob F. (Guest)
On 2/12/06, Thomas G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I know, off course, that there is an implementation of the active record
> pattern available. And for using it with Rails for tasks of midrange
> complexity I consider it to be perfect.
>
> But since this aproach suffers from some limitations, I would like to
> know if there are efforts on the way to build a fully featured
> DataGateWay/UnitOfWork/IdentityMap Framework?

I assume you're referring to these patterns:

http://www.martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog/tableDataGateway.html
http://www.martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog/unitOfWork.html
http://www.martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog/identityMap.html

> Who knows something about this subject, or is there a better place for a
> discussion about it?

I don't know a lot, but am willing to investigate with you, I find ORM
in general to be interesting. And this forum/list/group is definitely
the place for a discussion about implementing these patterns in Ruby.

Jacob F.