Forum: Ruby on Rails Starting Ruby On Rails

Anil (Guest)

i m a web developer(php,ajax).
i want to start with ruby on rails.

can one suggest me online tutorials for ruby on rails?
How would i start with ruby on rails,i knew something about ruby?
editor for ruby on rails?

Plase.....
Thank You.
Dave S. (Guest)
On Saturday 11 Feb 2006 12:30, Anil wrote:
> can one suggest me online tutorials for ruby on rails?
> How would i start with ruby on rails,i knew something about ruby?
> editor for ruby on rails?

Hi Anil,

Take a look at:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/onlampTuto...

Also check the two OnLamp tutorials linked at the top.

If you're looking for a book, this one is pretty much the "definitive"
Rails
book at the moment:

http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/rails/index.html

It's available as PDF or on paper.

As for an editor, that depends what platform you're on.  I use Kate here
in
KDE (Linux), Textmate for Mac OSX is meant to be awesome, but I really
don't
have a clue what's good in Windows land these days.  Perhaps Textpad or
Editpad (there's a free "Lite" version that I occasionally use, but
haven't
used either for Rails development).

Ultimately any text editor will do the job, but some will do it better
than
others.  You definitely want one that can have multiple files open at
the
same time, and Ruby syntax highlighting would be a helpful bonus (often
this
can be downloaded separately from a 3rd party, so try Googling for it
once
you've picked an editor).

Since you already do PHP, I'm quite tempted to just say use the same
editor
you use for that, though it depends what it is.  I don't know if I'd use
Dreamweaver for Rails, but then I'm the sort of person who wouldn't use
Dreamweaver for anything anyway, so my opinion on that is pretty
irrelevant!

Also, a few more useful links for you:

Rails API:  http://api.rubyonrails.com/
Ruby Reference (though for Ruby 1.6):  http://www.rubycentral.com/ref/
Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby:  http://poignantguide.net/ruby/

Hope that helps get you started!  Good luck!

Cheers,

~Dave

--

Dave S.
Rent-A-Monkey Website Development

PGP Key: http://www.rentamonkey.com/pgpkey.asc
Daniel da Veiga (Guest)
On 2/11/06, Dave S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> KDE (Linux), Textmate for Mac OSX is meant to be awesome, but I really don't
> Since you already do PHP, I'm quite tempted to just say use the same editor
> you use for that, though it depends what it is.  I don't know if I'd use
> Dreamweaver for Rails, but then I'm the sort of person who wouldn't use
> Dreamweaver for anything anyway, so my opinion on that is pretty irrelevant!

If you're using windows, RadRails is a good choice, started using it
and I was pretty impressed, of course, its not just a text editor, but
a complete IDE, wich includes creating and running the servers for
each app, generate stuff, tail -f for logs, a console, an excelent
editor and more. Also, I've used VIM for Windows and Linux, but then,
I use it for everything, so, my opinion is irrelevant as its Dare's
one about Dreamweaver... If you never used Rails, check the site
www.rubyonrails.org at Screencasts and take a look at that .mov video
of a blog creation using rails, pretty impressive...

> ~Dave
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
Chris S. (Guest)
on 2006-02-11 22:06
Daniel da Veiga wrote:
> On 2/11/06, Dave S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> KDE (Linux), Textmate for Mac OSX is meant to be awesome, but I really don't
>> Since you already do PHP, I'm quite tempted to just say use the same editor
>> you use for that, though it depends what it is.  I don't know if I'd use
>> Dreamweaver for Rails, but then I'm the sort of person who wouldn't use
>> Dreamweaver for anything anyway, so my opinion on that is pretty irrelevant!
>>

> If you're using windows, RadRails is a good choice, started using it
> and I was pretty impressed, of course, its not just a text editor, but
> a complete IDE, wich includes creating and running the servers for
> each app, generate stuff, tail -f for logs, a console, an excelent
> editor and more. Also, I've used VIM for Windows and Linux, but then,
> I use it for everything, so, my opinion is irrelevant as its Dare's
> one about Dreamweaver... If you never used Rails, check the site
> www.rubyonrails.org at Screencasts and take a look at that .mov video
> of a blog creation using rails, pretty impressive...
>
>> ~Dave
>> removed_email_address@domain.invalid
>>

> --
> Daniel da Veiga
> Computer Operator - RS - Brazil

I've found jEdit (http://www.jedit.org) with the Ruby plugin
(http://jedit.org/ruby/) to be a great choice.  If you go with jEdit,
the OpenIt, BufferTabs, and SuperAbbrevs plugins are extremely helpful.
SuperAbbrevs lets you create those template-like things that Textmate
has (Snippets) that you see DHH use in the video.  The great thing about
jEdit is that it's platform-independant, and you can customize it a
great deal (such as changing keyboard shortcuts).

Finally, the Editor Scheme plugin comes with a number of nice colors
schemes.