Forum: Ruby Re: Yahoo! Widgets (JavaScript) - do we have a anything like

unknown (Guest)
Hmmm,

so what's your conclusion from this debate? Fox isn't pretty, Qt and GTK
are
better, but David is running away from it seeking shelter from
non-Rubyish
syntax....

What's your answer to Glenn's original question, then ?

a.) We got something like Yahoo Widgets in Ruby, namely ......, and
everybody finds it nice.
b.) No we don't, and we need Glenn to write it (since he commited the
crime of uncovering a Ruby imperfection).

Best regards,

Axel
David V. (Guest)
DÅ?a Piatok 10 Február 2006 14:37 removed_email_address@domain.invalid
napísal:
> Hmmm,
>
> so what's your conclusion from this debate? Fox isn't pretty, Qt and GTK
> are better, but David is running away from it seeking shelter from
> non-Rubyish syntax....

I'm not quite running away, since I don't do GUIs, and as it seems,
things are
looking up even there.

> What's your answer to Glenn's original question, then ?

Heh, I'm afraid this thread has gotten VERY sidetracked. But:

> a.) We got something like Yahoo Widgets in Ruby, namely ......, and
> everybody finds it nice.

To summarize the actual on-topic posts: You can hack around with
borderless
transparent windows with FOX if you need cross-platform, and later
googling
has shown you can indeed implement gDesklets and Kicker applets in Ruby
if
you can offer cross-platform for the advantages using KDE and GNOME
standard
desktop applet functionality.

Maybe we could also try giving the SuperKaramba team some hints to
provide
Ruby bindings if they have Python ones already. I haven't done much
SWIG, but
I can't imagine how the languages are different in the aspects that are
involved in autogenerating bindings.

Anyways, cheers for bringing this back into reality.

David V.