Forum: Ruby on Rails Lighttpd segfaults on first access

Alan C Francis (Guest)
I just got a new Debian Sarge server and followed the brainspl.at
"Debian Lighttpd Rails Stack" tutorial.

The only place I deviated was the version of Lighty.  The page uses
1.4.7 and I spotted that 1.4.10 was available.  I installed that and
couldn't get anywhere.  Lighty died on first access from the test
rails app, and even from a ultra basic static config.   No log, no
info, just dead.

I downloaded 1.4.7, installed it and everything is fine.   Great
tutorial, works as advertised, but I'm not sure why there are
problems with the later version of lighty... any ideas ?

I'll stick with 1.4.7 for the moment, since it works.  If this
segfault is a known bug, when was it introduced ?  Can I get a more
recent version (.8 or .9)?  Obviously I'd like to be running as up-to-
date a version as possible.

A.
--
mailto:removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://blog.alancfrancis.com/
On Feb 10, 2006, at 1:42 AM, Alan C Francis wrote:

> tutorial, works as advertised, but I'm not sure why there are
> problems with the later version of lighty... any ideas ?
>
> I'll stick with 1.4.7 for the moment, since it works.  If this
> segfault is a known bug, when was it introduced ?  Can I get a more
> recent version (.8 or .9)?  Obviously I'd like to be running as up-
> to-date a version as possible.
>
> A.

Alan-

	Are you just using the lighttpd.conf file that gets generated by
running script/server? The newer versions of lighty don't work with
relative paths that get generated in the script/server lighttpd.conf.
If you edit that file and make all the paths absolute it should work
fine. But there have been a few problems with the newsest releases of
lighty. You are fine with 1.4.7 for now. I would just watch the
releases of lighty and maybe try them when they are bug free. But
there is nothing you are missing out on with 1.4.7 right now.

Cheers-
-Ezra Z.
WebMaster
Yakima Herald-Republic Newspaper