Forum: Ruby on Rails Re: Manually running dispatch.fcgi fails (Please help!!)

Greg F. (Guest)
I'm really lost on this issue.  Do I need to reinstall rails / gems?

The rest of my rails setup seems to be working.  I just can't run
dispatch.fcgi.  (Details in original message below).

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this.  I'm not even positive it is
supposed to be runnable from the command line.  I found a
troubleshooting guide that implied it was supposed to work.

Ideas are very welcome.  FYI: I using SUSE 10.0 with self installed
rails and lighttpd.

Thanks
Greg

--
Greg F.
The Norcross Group
Forensics for the 21st Century
HH (Guest)
It's my understanding that dispatch.fcgi isn't runnable from the command
line as it expects the process connecting to it to be speaking in
FCGI-language and you at the command line are not.

FYI, out of my many working FCGI setups, I've only ever gotten Error 500
when trying to run it via the command line - I don't think it is
supposed to
work.
Superbiji (Guest)
See my post in http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/FastCGI
about troubleshooting

HTH

--
kamus online - http://kamus.landak.com/
Greg F. (Guest)
> It's my understanding that dispatch.fcgi isn't runnable from the command
> line as it expects the process connecting to it to be speaking in
> FCGI-language and you at the command line are not.
>
> FYI, out of my many working FCGI setups, I've only ever gotten Error 500
> when trying to run it via the command line - I don't think it is supposed to
> work.

Thanks for the feedback.  I admit to getting frustrated on this issue.

Note that I'm not complaining about the error 500 at this point.  I'm
complaining that dispatch.fcgi in pure standalone mode crashes within
a couple seconds.  The troubleshooting reference I read implied it
should at least run until a control-c killed it.

If indeed dispatch.fcgi should not run at all in standalone mode I can
live with that, but when I try to run lighttpd from the command line:
     I get nothing for a few seconds then a get a burst of error
messages identical to what I get when I run dispatch.fcgi from the
command line.

After that if I do a ps -ef I see a collection of zombies and no live
dispatch.fcgi processes.

Something is definately wrong with my setup but I really don't know
how to troubleshoot the  issue.

Can someone simply run dispatch.fcgi from there command line and tell
me what happens on a machine that is functioning fine?

Thanks
Greg
--
Greg F.
The Norcross Group
Forensics for the 21st Century
Greg F. (Guest)
> See my post in http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/FastCGI
> about troubleshooting
>
> HTH

That seems to be about apache/fcgi integration.  I'm trying to use
lighttpd so I'm not sure it is relevant?

Greg