Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby 1.8.4 trouble

Gitte W. (Guest)
Hi!

The ruby installation on my FreeBSD-6 box have been upgraded from
1.8.2 to 1.8.4 by accident. And now all my rails have stopped working.

I can't produce any cool debug info since I have none. running script/
server just coredumps. Running the sites through apache isn't an
option since apache won't start (get lots of these in my log: [Thu
Feb 09 10:38:19 2006] [alert] FastCGI: read() from pipe failed (0)
[Thu Feb 09 10:38:19 2006] [alert] FastCGI: the PM is shutting down,
Apache seems to have disa
ppeared - bye)

So what I'm missing right now are ideas on how to debug what the hell
is going on/wrong here.
Hope there are some brainy guys out there :-)

Greetings,
Gitte W.
Tom M. (Guest)
I'd guess you need to reinstall your gems.

All of them.

--
-- Tom M.
Gitte W. (Guest)
On 09/02/2006, at 11.50, Tom M. wrote:

> I'd guess you need to reinstall your gems.
>
> All of them.

Well I did :-(
Still not working :-(

Greetings,
Gitte W.
Craig D. (Guest)
On Feb 9, 2006, at 4:16 PM, Gitte W. wrote:

> On 09/02/2006, at 11.50, Tom M. wrote:
>
>> I'd guess you need to reinstall your gems.
>>
>> All of them.
>
> Well I did :-(
> Still not working :-(

Doesn't FreeBSD's ports system allow you to rollback the update to
1.8.4? I'm using DarwinPorts on Mac OS X, and it allows me to do
something like this. Have a look at the options the ports system
provides.

Good luck,
Craig
Jonathan W. (Guest)
Craig D. wrote:
>> Still not working :-(
>
> Doesn't FreeBSD's ports system allow you to rollback the update to
> 1.8.4? I'm using DarwinPorts on Mac OS X, and it allows me to do
> something like this. Have a look at the options the ports system provides.

You can use sysutils/portdowngrade to downgrade Ruby 1.8.4 to 1.8.2.

BTW I have several FreeBSD 6-STABLE servers with Ruby 1.8.4 and many
gems and I'm not having any problems.

Try do deinstall all Ruby-related stuff and install www/rubygem-rails.
This will take care of the rest.

> Good luck,
> Craig

Jonathan