Forum: Ruby on Rails Manually running dispatch.fcgi fails

Greg F. (Guest)
I'm a newbie trying to setup lighttpd.  It is failing with error 500.

I tried running dispatch.fcgi by hand and I'm getting:

# ./dispatch.fcgi
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.2.5/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:200:in
`const_missing': uninitialized constant RailsFCGIHandler (NameError)
        from ./dispatch.fcgi:24

Not sure how to proceed from here.

Thanks
Greg
--
Greg F.
The Norcross Group
Greg F. wrote:
> I'm a newbie trying to setup lighttpd.  It is failing with error 500.
>
> I tried running dispatch.fcgi by hand and I'm getting:
>
> # ./dispatch.fcgi

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.2.5/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:200:in
> `const_missing': uninitialized constant RailsFCGIHandler (NameError)
>         from ./dispatch.fcgi:24

 From one noob to another, I think this may be a red herring.  What does
your dispatch.fcgi look like?  What's your environment?  I was getting
this error as well, and I _believe_ it was because my dispatch.fcgi did
not just say

require 'fcgi_handler'

, instead using

require 'rubygems'
require_gem 'fcgi'
Greg F. (Guest)
On 2/9/06, Jim N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> require 'rubygems'
> require_gem 'fcgi'

Ignoring comments my entire dispatch.fcgi file is:

#!/usr/bin/ruby
require File.dirname(__FILE__) + "/../config/environment"
require 'fcgi_handler'

RailsFCGIHandler.process!

Can you run your dispatch.fcgi from the command line?

Greg