Forum: Ruby help using facets?

a non y mouse (Guest)
i just discovered facets and would like to begin using them, but am
having issues:

require 'facets' works, but i am unable to use anything suggested in the
rdoc or the little stuff i've found online.

based on
<http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/..., i
should be able to do

Time.use Facets, :stamp

or

Array.use Facets, :each_permutation

but both give errors:

tinker% !.
./facets.rb
./facets.rb:5: uninitialized constant Facets (NameError)
        from ./facets.rb:3
tinker% cat facets.rb
#!/usr/local/bin/ruby

require 'facets'

Time.use Facets, :stamp
tinker%

i do have the gems installed:

tinker% gem list | grep facets
facets (1.0.2)
facets_core (1.0.2)
facets_more (1.0.2)

same thing if i try the Array line. sooo..what gives? i'd really like to
be able to use its Crypt module.

thanks
David V. (Guest)
DÅ?a Streda 08 Február 2006 23:36 a non y mouse napísal:
> Time.use Facets, :stamp
>         from ./facets.rb:3
> tinker% gem list | grep facets
> facets (1.0.2)
> facets_core (1.0.2)
> facets_more (1.0.2)
>
> same thing if i try the Array line. sooo..what gives? i'd really like to
> be able to use its Crypt module.
>
> thanks

Couldn't reproduce this with whatever ruby there is in the Ubuntu
repositories, latest rubygems, and whatever "gem in -y facets" gets me.

The Facets module does indeed seem to exist, however, my hopes shatter
right
after that. Time doesn't have a #use class method, in fact, there is no
such
method in the API documentation.

The deprecated method in the documentation doesn't help any either.

How -do- you use this library then?

The website is also in slight need of spellchecking, I wonder if this
would be
proper to report via the project bug tracker.

David V.

<rant>
PS: Am I the only one slightly irritated by the recent surge of posts
from
faked e-mail addresses, and even anonymous ones?
</rant>
a non y mouse (Guest)
David V. wrote:
> <rant>
> PS: Am I the only one slightly irritated by the recent surge of posts from
> faked e-mail addresses, and even anonymous ones?
> </rant>

i'm not anonymous :)

i'll send the maintainer an e-mail asking him what's up. thanks!
Trans (Guest)
Be sure RUBYOPT="-rubygems" then

  require 'facet/time/stamp'

> i'd really like to be able to use its Crypt module.

  require 'facet/crypt'

T.
David V. (Guest)
DÅ?a Å tvrtok 09 Február 2006 04:23 Trans napísal:
> Be sure RUBYOPT="-rubygems" then
>
>   require 'facet/time/stamp'
>
> > i'd really like to be able to use its Crypt module.
>
>   require 'facet/crypt'
>
> T.

Gah. #stamp is an instance method? Ah well, I thought it was a class
method
because it would look good in code that way. I should hint the Facets
developers towards that.

So the usage in the announcement from a few months ago didn't describe
changs
that were released yet?

David V.
Trans (Guest)
Is this what you want?

  def Time.stamp(*args)
    now.stamp(*args)
  end

I will add to next version of Facets if so.

T.
David V. (Guest)
DÅ?a Piatok 10 Február 2006 06:33 Trans napísal:
> Is this what you want?
>
>   def Time.stamp(*args)
>     now.stamp(*args)
>   end
>
> I will add to next version of Facets if so.
>
> T.

Yep, something like that. I have no idea how often people need textual
timestamps of the current date though, so it might not be a particularly
useful addition. It's just the first usage that came to mind when I saw
someone asking about that functionality.

David V.