Forum: Ruby Relocatable Ruby executable

Asfand Yar Q. (Guest)

How can I create a relocatable Ruby executable?  Meaning, that I can
distribute a copy of it along with the modules I need with a binary app
I am
embedding Ruby into.  I'm considering both actually programatically
embedding
Ruby into my app using libruby.a or whatever, as well as making my app
an
extension library run by the Ruby executable - if you could give details
of
both, I'd be grateful.

Thanks
Joel VanderWerf (Guest)
Asfand Yar Q. wrote:

Are you aware of rubyscript2exe? It packages the interpreter + libraries
you require + your main script file. I've been very happy with it.

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/index.html

This is for the ruby extension approach, but not the embedding approach.
David V. (Guest)
DÅ?a Streda 08 Február 2006 17:33 Asfand Yar Q. napísal:
> Hi,
>
> How can I create a relocatable Ruby executable?  Meaning, that I can
> distribute a copy of it along with the modules I need with a binary app I
> am embedding Ruby into.  I'm considering both actually programatically
> embedding Ruby into my app using libruby.a or whatever, as well as making
> my app an extension library run by the Ruby executable - if you could give
> details of both, I'd be grateful.
>
> Thanks

I -think- on Windows the ruby interpreter semiautomagically sets up the
paths
it needs relative to the path where ruby.exe that was run is located, so
if
you can go without the aesthetics and compactness of rubyscript2exe, you
should be able to safely get away with distributing your ruby directory
along
in the application's distribution somewhere.

David V.