Forum: Ruby on Rails What happens to manuals.rubyonrails.com?

xiheng xu (Guest)
Hi guys,

does anyone know what happened to the manuals site?  I have not been
able to connect to http://manuals.rubyonrails.com for two days (I
started reading all about RoR yesterday and finished most of the
tutorials i could gather, and really enjoyed playing with the rails).

TIA!
-xiheng
Scott B. (Guest)
On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 21:02 +0000, xiheng xu wrote:
> does anyone know what happened to the manuals site?  I have not been
> able to connect to http://manuals.rubyonrails.com for two days

I haven't been able to either.  I've been getting the info I need from
Google cache or archive.org but it's tedious!

So what happened?  Will manuals ever come back up?  Can the Switchtower
book be found anywhere else?
Steve L. (Guest)
Try this URL, it works right now show Jamis last edited it Feb 1st:

http://manuals.rubyonrails.com/read/book/17
Rick O. (Guest)
On 2/9/06, Scott B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 21:02 +0000, xiheng xu wrote:
> > does anyone know what happened to the manuals site?  I have not been
> > able to connect to http://manuals.rubyonrails.com for two days
>
> I haven't been able to either.  I've been getting the info I need from
> Google cache or archive.org but it's tedious!
>
> So what happened?  Will manuals ever come back up?  Can the Switchtower
> book be found anywhere else?

Dan gave it a nudge, and now it's back up.

--
Rick O.
http://techno-weenie.net

Scott, if we don't get an answer this time, we should put in a trac
ticket... Hmm, if I
can figure out how to search for an existing one....

Wow, sorry to ramble here, but I've got to question the sanity of the
writers of Trac. The
custom query controls don't appear to do anything, there's no search
terms box that I can
see, the help link goes to a not-found page, the default list when you
come to the track
page is largely unfiltered so you get a huge list that takes a long time
to load, and it
appears that Trac will happily take a new bug report without asking the
reporter to at
least do a little searching for an existing dupe... and that's just
after looking at it
for 30 seconds!

Sorry to vent off-topic here, but hopefully some Collaboa devs might be
browsing through
here and take my rants to heart... you never know.

Ben M. (Guest)
Rick O. wrote:
> On 2/9/06, Scott B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>

> Dan gave it a nudge, and now it's back up.

Oh crap. Of course, as soon as I hit send on my rantish email, the issue
is resolved.
Well, the rant-like behavior wasn't about the manuals anyway, so I guess
it still
stands.... even though it was rather off-topic... Still, maybe I'm
missing something with
Trac, but its interface doesn't seem very well designed to me.

Rick O. (Guest)
> Oh crap. Of course, as soon as I hit send on my rantish email, the issue is resolved.
> Well, the rant-like behavior wasn't about the manuals anyway, so I guess it still
> stands.... even though it was rather off-topic... Still, maybe I'm missing something
with
> Trac, but its interface doesn't seem very well designed to me.

Some oddities cropped in from the move to lighttpd -> apache it looks
like.  You can manually put the query params in the URL if you want,
but that's not much fun.

--
Rick O.
http://techno-weenie.net