Forum: Ruby on Rails Switchtower not working due to openssl not found

Rob S. (Guest)
I'm struggling to get switchtower working, and from other posts about
it I know it has something to do with ruby binding to open ssl.  I'm
just not sure what I should recompile/reinstall to get things to work.

running:  "rake remote_exec ACTION=setup" gives me --->
...executing "mkdir -p -m 775 /usr/apps/hello-rails/releases
/usr/apps/hello-rails/shared/system &&\n    mkdir -p -m 777
/usr/apps/hello-rails/shared/log"
servers: ["www.robsanheim.com"]
rake aborted!
no such file to load -- openssl

"which openssl" returns "/usr/bin/openssl", and I can get an openssl
prompt at the command line, so that is installed correctly.  I was at
ruby 1.8.3 and just upgrade to 1.8.4, thinking that might fix
something, but it hasn't.

Any ideas?
- Rob
--
http://www.robsanheim.com/ - blog on development, TDD, aqua teen, and
agility

Pat
Rob S. (Guest)
Yep, heres all local gems:

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

actionmailer (1.1.5, 1.1.4, 1.1.3)
actionpack (1.11.2, 1.11.1, 1.11.0)
actionwebservice (1.0.0, 0.9.4, 0.9.3)
activerecord (1.13.2, 1.13.1, 1.13.0)
activesupport (1.2.5, 1.2.4, 1.2.3)
fcgi (0.8.6.1)
mysql (2.7)
needle (1.3.0)
net-sftp (1.1.0)
net-ssh (1.0.7)
rails (1.0.0, 0.14.4, 0.14.3)
rake (0.7.0, 0.6.2)
sources (0.0.1)
switchtower (0.10.0)

- Rob
Jamis B. (Guest)
On Feb 7, 2006, at 12:45 AM, Rob S. wrote:

> no such file to load -- openssl
>
> "which openssl" returns "/usr/bin/openssl", and I can get an openssl
> prompt at the command line, so that is installed correctly.  I was at
> ruby 1.8.3 and just upgrade to 1.8.4, thinking that might fix
> something, but it hasn't.

What happens if you do "require 'openssl'" from irb?

It sounds very much like the Ruby openssl bindings didn't get
installed, for some reason. How did you install Ruby?

- Jamis
Rob S. (Guest)
I installed Ruby from the tarball with configure/make.

Require doesn't work, so I'm guessing the bindings are the issue.

irb(main):002:0> require 'rubygems'
=> true
irb(main):003:0> require 'openssl'
LoadError: no such file to load -- openssl
        from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in
`require__'
        from
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in
`require'
        from (irb):3
irb(main):004:0>

- Rob

On 2/7/06, Jamis B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

http://www.robsanheim.com/ - blog on development, TDD, aqua teen, and
agility
http://www.ajaxian.com/ - the net's best Ajax blog
Jamis B. (Guest)
What is your OS? Do you have the openssl lib and include files
installed?

- Jamis
Rob S. (Guest)
Its White Box Enterprise Linux 3.  I have OpenSSL 0.9.7a installed and
double checked that the libssl.so files are in /lib.  Is there
anything else I should check?

- Rob