Forum: Ruby on Rails ROR Recipes Beta

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
softwareengineer 99 (Guest)
on 2006-02-06 20:41
(Received via mailing list)
Yesterday I got the beta version of ROR recipes book and the recipes
are great. For those of you still thinking about it, I highly recommend
the book.

  The only thing I wish is that if there were some more recipes (greedy
me), especially AJAX related and installing an application within your
current application.

  For instance, it will be great to see how one can implement the typo
blog engine within one's already made application.

  My question: Since this is a beta edition of the book, will more
recipes be added to it? Or will the final version contain the same
recipes?

  Nonetheless, the book is a real *gem* and highly recommended. My
thanks to Chad and Dave for their hard work.

  Frank
  P.S. Now if only were open tickets and open air travel so I could
participate in the Rails conference ;)
softwareengineer 99 (Guest)
on 2006-02-06 20:44
(Received via mailing list)
And obviously big thanks to David for creating rails
  Frank

softwareengineer 99 <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote: My thanks to
Chad and Dave for their hard work.
Dave T. (Guest)
on 2006-02-06 21:15
(Received via mailing list)
On Feb 6, 2006, at 12:39 PM, softwareengineer 99 wrote:

>
> My question: Since this is a beta edition of the book, will more
> recipes be added to it? Or will the final version contain the same
> recipes?

The final version will contain roughly three times more recipes than
this version.

We'll be releasing new beta versions as recipes are added.


Cheers


Dave
Byron S. (Guest)
on 2006-02-06 21:25
(Received via mailing list)
Wow - that's really cool. Is there somewhere to sign up to participate
in
such betas?
softwareengineer 99 (Guest)
on 2006-02-06 21:28
(Received via mailing list)
Hey Dave,

  That is wonderful news.

  Thank you for your reply.

  Frank


Dave T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
The final version will contain roughly three times more recipes than
this version.

We'll be releasing new beta versions as recipes are added.


Cheers


Dave
softwareengineer 99 (Guest)
on 2006-02-06 21:31
(Received via mailing list)
Hey Byron,
  I got my beta book here
  http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/fr_rr/index.html

  Thanks
  Frank

Byron S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:  Wow - that's really 
cool.
Is there somewhere to sign up to participate in such betas?
Ted K. (Guest)
on 2006-02-06 22:27
(Received via mailing list)
This book is incredible.  Exactly what I was looking for, I can't wait
to see 50 more recipes.
Byron S. (Guest)
on 2006-02-06 22:33
(Received via mailing list)
nice -thanks
Mark Probert (Guest)
on 2006-02-06 23:28
(Received via mailing list)
Hi ..

I am new to Rails and it is not clear to me why I am getting the
following error.  Any help appreciated.

-m.


$cat app/views/admin/new.rhtml


<% @page_title = "New member..." -%>

<%= start_form_tag( :action => 'create' ) %>



<table>

   <tr>

     <td> First Name: </td>

     <td> <%= text_field( "member", "first_name", size => 40 %> </td>

   </tr>

   <tr>

     <td> Last Name: </td>

     <td> <%= text_field( "member", "last_name", size => 40 %> </td>

   </tr>

   <tr>

     <td> </td>

     <td> <%= submit_tag "Create" %> </td>

   </tr>


                       </table>


<%= link_to 'Back', :action => 'list' %>

<%= end_form_tag %>



In browser:

Showing app/views/admin/new.rhtml where line #8 raised:

compile error
script/../config/../app/views/admin/new.rhtml:8: parse error, unexpected
';', expecting ')'
_erbout.concat "    <td> "; _erbout.concat(( text_field( "member",
"first_name", size => 40 ).to_s); _erbout.concat " </td>\n"

                              ^
script/../config/../app/views/admin/new.rhtml:12: parse error,
unexpected ';', expecting ')'
_erbout.concat "    <td> "; _erbout.concat(( text_field( "member",
"last_name", size => 40 ).to_s); _erbout.concat " </td>\n"



--

-mark.
Ben R. (Guest)
on 2006-02-06 23:29
(Received via mailing list)
<td> <%= text_field( "member", "first_name", size => 40 %> </td>

Should be:

<td> <%= text_field( "member", "first_name", size => 40) %> </td>
Chad F. (Guest)
on 2006-02-07 17:36
(Received via mailing list)
On 2/6/06, softwareengineer 99 <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> engine within one's already made application.
>
> My question: Since this is a beta edition of the book, will more recipes
> be added to it? Or will the final version contain the same recipes?



Hi Frank!  THanks for the kind words.  Dave has already answered the
question of whether more recipes will be added.  I wanted to add that an
advantage of being in the beta program is that you can suggest Recipes
you'd
like to see (as you've done here).  I can't guarantee that all the
suggestions will make it in, but I'm definitely always on the lookout
for
good ideas, and this book is for people like you (the readers!).  So
your
ideas are the most important.


Nonetheless, the book is a real *gem* and highly recommended. My thanks
to
> Chad and Dave for their hard work.



Thank you very much!  I hope the book continues to delight you. :)


--
Chad F.
http://chadfowler.com
http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/fr_rr/ (Rails Recipes - In Beta!)
http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/mjwti/ (My Job Went to India, and
All
I Got Was This Lousy Book)
http://rubycentral.org
http://rubygarden.org
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org (over one million gems served!)
Rick B. (Guest)
on 2006-02-07 17:49
(Received via mailing list)
* Chad F. (removed_email_address@domain.invalid) [060207 10:39]:
> of whether more recipes will be added.  I wanted to add that an advantage of
> being in the beta program is that you can suggest Recipes you'd like to see (as
> you've done here).  I can't guarantee that all the suggestions will make it in,
> but I'm definitely always on the lookout for good ideas, and this book is for
> people like you (the readers!).  So your ideas are the most important.

Chad,
I'm very much enjoying the Beta Recipes book -- thanks for the hard
work!

By what channel(s) would you prefer to receive suggestions for new
recipes?

Rick
--
 http://www.rickbradley.com    MUPRN: 828
                       |  notice of appeal
   random email haiku  |  and appointed new counsel
                       |  to represent him.
softwareengineer 99 (Guest)
on 2006-02-07 18:20
(Received via mailing list)
Hi Chad,
  Thank you for your reply.

  Seeing how great this community is and how accessible you are, I will
certainly make sure (and recommend others) to pass along any
suggestions for the book.

  Thank you once again.

  Frank

Chad F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:   Hi Frank!  THanks for 
the
kind words.  Dave has already  answered the question of whether more
recipes will be added.  I  wanted to add that an advantage of being in
the beta program is that  you can suggest Recipes you'd like to see (as
you've done here).   I can't guarantee that all the suggestions will
make it in, but I'm  definitely always on the lookout for good ideas,
and this book is for  people like you (the readers!).  So your ideas are
the most  important.

--
Chad F.
http://chadfowler.com
http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/fr_rr/ (Rails Recipes - In Beta!)
http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/mjwti/ (My Job Went to India, and
All I Got Was This Lousy Book)
http://rubycentral.org
http://rubygarden.org
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org (over one million gems served!)
Mark W. (Guest)
on 2006-02-07 18:30
(Received via mailing list)
Dave,

Bought the book and already glad I did!

You mention that new or additional recipes are coming - and that you are
amenable to reader suggestions for additional ones. Is this the forum
for those or would you like them off-line?

-Mark
Chad F. (Guest)
on 2006-02-07 18:51
(Received via mailing list)
Mark, please pass your suggestions along.  The best way to reach me is
by personal email (removed_email_address@domain.invalid --- not the address I'm 
using
for this list).

Thanks,
Chad

On 2/7/06, Mark W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Yesterday I got the beta version of ROR recipes book and the
> > My question: Since this is a beta edition of the book, will more
>
> http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails
>


--
Chad F.
http://chadfowler.com
http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/fr_rr/ (Rails Recipes - In Beta!)
http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/mjwti/ (My Job Went to India,
and All I Got Was This Lousy Book)
http://rubycentral.org
http://rubygarden.org
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org (over one million gems served!)
Pat M. (Guest)
on 2006-02-08 15:14
(Received via mailing list)
This book definitely kicks ass.  After I bought it I briefly skimmed
it over and thought to myself, "Hm, these look alright, not sure how
many I'll be using though, I could do most of it on my own."  Started
a new project later that day and immediately used four of the recipes!

One of the things I really like is that it shows just how easy some of
the stuff really is.  For example, I hate writing authentication
systems, and so have looked at using different generators,
LoginEngine, etc.  I could certainly write a simple auth system
myself, but I don't know how big it would be, which discourages me
from doing so.  When I see a basic system done in 5 pages of text and
maybe 50 lines of code, there's no uncertainty and I'm happy to knock
it out.  I'm lazy though, so if I think it's going to be a long, dull
task, I probably won't do it.  In that regard, this book relieves me
of a lot of that.

Really looking forward to the new recipes as they come out.

Pat
James L. (Guest)
on 2006-02-17 17:29
(Received via mailing list)
On 2/6/06, Dave T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> The final version will contain roughly three times more recipes than
> this version.
>
> We'll be releasing new beta versions as recipes are added.

What was the recipe count as of Feb 06 (approximately)?  I'm
considering buying the ebook+paper version of this, but I'm not sure
what "three times more recipes" is relative to, since I don't know
what's been added between then and now.

-- James
John K. (Guest)
on 2006-02-17 17:41
(Received via mailing list)
It shipped with 21... so I am assuming it will be around 63 recipes
at final count.  The book is really well written.  Chad F. is a
great guy and an even better writer :-).

On 17-Feb-06, at 10:26 AM, James L. wrote:

>
> -- James
> _______________________________________________
> Rails mailing list
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid
> http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails


John K.
http://www.kopanas.com


=====================================================================
http://www.soen.info - source of the freshest software engineering
information on the net
http://cusec.soen.info - software engineering conference
Howard R. (Guest)
on 2006-02-18 01:46
(Received via mailing list)
On 2/17/06, John K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> It shipped with 21... so I am assuming it will be around 63 recipes
> at final count.  The book is really well written.  Chad F. is a
> great guy and an even better writer :-).




Just as a plug (dunno that its really needed though), the recipes on RJS
templates, authentication and RBAC, and the gentle introduction to
migrations have more than made the low price of the PDF well worth it to
me
as someone who has never taken the time to fully wrap my head around the
disparate docs for these arguably complicated subjects.

So, buy the darn book already! :)

HTH,
Dean
Craig W. (Guest)
on 2006-02-18 03:59
(Received via mailing list)
On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 18:45 -0500, Howard R. wrote:
>
>
> Just as a plug (dunno that its really needed though), the recipes on
> RJS templates, authentication and RBAC, and the gentle introduction to
> migrations have more than made the low price of the PDF well worth it
> to me as someone who has never taken the time to fully wrap my head
> around the disparate docs for these arguably complicated subjects.
>
> So, buy the darn book already! :)
----
I did and the RBAC was interesting except that it has me groping with
HABTM relationships since it cowered out without discussing the
controller & view code samples that would make it usable.

Craig
James L. (Guest)
on 2006-02-20 18:34
(Received via mailing list)
On 2/17/06, Howard R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>  Just as a plug (dunno that its really needed though), the recipes on RJS
> templates, authentication and RBAC, and the gentle introduction to
> migrations have more than made the low price of the PDF well worth it to me
> as someone who has never taken the time to fully wrap my head around the
> disparate docs for these arguably complicated subjects.
>
> So, buy the darn book already! :)

Yeah, I bought it.

Do emails get sent out to the users when the PDF is updated, or do we
have to check the website periodically?

-- James
Tony C. (Guest)
on 2006-02-20 18:40
(Received via mailing list)
I think we have to check.  I emailed the PragProg's suggesting an RSS
feed
would rule, and they mentioned something like this would be coming in
the
future.

Tony
Thibaut Barrère (Guest)
on 2006-02-20 18:50
(Received via mailing list)
is there also a gentle introduction to switchtower in the recipes ?

regards

Thibaut
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
on 2006-02-20 18:56
(Received via mailing list)
On 20 Feb 2006, at 17:47, Thibaut Barrère wrote:

> is there also a gentle introduction to switchtower in the recipes ?
>

Not at this time. You could always suggest it to Chad F..


Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Alexander (Guest)
on 2006-02-20 19:06
I've had a look at the code supplied online and it doesn't seem
complete, most of the folders are just fresh rails installations with no
code or data. Is this just me, or are they adding to it gradually.
Kirk Richey (Guest)
on 2006-02-20 19:11
(Received via mailing list)
Were do we check on the website for the updates to the Beta?
Sometimes I wish their website was on the same level as their books.
Their books are top notch but the website, well no so much.

Great books though

Kirk
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
on 2006-02-20 19:14
(Received via mailing list)
On 20 Feb 2006, at 18:09, Kirk Richey wrote:

> Were do we check on the website for the updates to the Beta?
> Sometimes I wish their website was on the same level as their
> books.  Their books are top notch but the website, well no so much.

Well, you just reorder it, there's a reorder page at http://
books.pragprog.com/titles/fr_rr/reorder. You have to provide them
with your order number and your e-mail address (or the first line of
the billing address).

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Bill K. (Guest)
on 2006-02-20 21:27
(Received via mailing list)
The errata over at http://books.pragprog.com/titles/fr_rr/errata only
has
one version for the Beta book. Has there been an update since
B1.0(2006-02-02)?  No use reordering if there's no changes.
Marcel Molina Jr. (Guest)
on 2006-02-20 22:38
(Received via mailing list)
On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 05:47:28PM +0100, Thibaut Barr?re wrote:
>    is there also a gentle introduction to switchtower in the recipes ?

Jamis, the author of Switchtower, has written a lengthy and detailed,
and I
believe fairly accessible, introduction/manual for Switchtower. Though I
do
not dispute the merits of Chad including a recipe on ST, I wanted to
alert
you to the excellent manual that exists right now:
http://manuals.rubyonrails.com/read/book/17

marcel
Justin F. (Guest)
on 2006-02-21 00:29
(Received via mailing list)
Bill K. wrote:
> The errata over at http://books.pragprog.com/titles/fr_rr/errata only
> has one version for the Beta book. Has there been an update since B1.0
> (2006-02-02)?  No use reordering if there's no changes.

For other beta books Dave has sent out emails when there's a new
version. I would expect that to be true for this one too.

regards

   Justin
softwareengineer 99 (Guest)
on 2006-02-21 20:43
(Received via mailing list)
I just got my email for  new version of book.

  QUOTE:

It features seven new recipes:

* In Place Editing
* Making Your Own JavaScript Helper
* Many To Many With Attributes On The Relationship
* Dealing With Time Zones
* Living On The Edge
* Making Your Own Rails Plugins (contributed by Rick O., aka
technoweenie)
* Polymorphic Associations
  END QUOTE:

  This is so awesome. Thanks to Chad and everyone working on this book.
I  have made a request for regeneration of PDF and am currently waiting.

  Go Railers!
  Frank

Justin F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
For other beta books Dave has sent out emails when there's a new
version. I would expect that to be true for this one too.

regards

   Justin
_______________________________________________
Rails mailing list
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails



Rails Blog: http://railsruby.blogspot.com
MySQL Blog: http://mysqldatabaseadministration.blogspot.com
Linux / Security Blog: http://frankmash.blogspot.com
Dave T. (Guest)
on 2006-02-22 01:38
(Received via mailing list)
On Feb 20, 2006, at 10:33 AM, James L. wrote:

>
> Do emails get sent out to the users when the PDF is updated, or do we
> have to check the website periodically?


I send e-mail on all major releases of the beta.


Dave
Dylan S. (Guest)
on 2006-02-22 22:25
(Received via mailing list)
Just wanted to ditto the "thanks!"... this book IS awesome.  I highly
recommend it to the Rails community.
It's actually being used just as much as my Agile book... and, it's not
even
finished yet.
If you'd rather not wade through edge source code, and want applicable
examples... get the book !

Chad... the Polymorphic and Join table examples were *exactly* what I
needed.
I owe you a beer (or brewery for that matter), come Rails Conf !
Chad F. (Guest)
on 2006-02-23 00:00
(Received via mailing list)
On 2/22/06, Dylan S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
Thanks everyone!  I'm just happy to hear that the book is helping you.
 I hope it continues to please as the new recipes keep coming.

Thanks!

--
Chad F.
http://chadfowler.com
http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/fr_rr/ (Rails Recipes - In Beta!)
http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/mjwti/ (My Job Went to India,
and All I Got Was This Lousy Book)
http://rubycentral.org
http://rubygarden.org
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org (over one million gems served!)
Randy S. (Guest)
on 2006-02-23 00:03
(Received via mailing list)
Do you know how many recipes the book will eventually contain? Or are
you going to just keep adding them?

On 2/22/06, Chad F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > I owe you a beer (or brewery for that matter), come Rails Conf !
> http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/fr_rr/ (Rails Recipes - In Beta!)
> http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/mjwti/ (My Job Went to India,
> and All I Got Was This Lousy Book)
> http://rubycentral.org
> http://rubygarden.org
> http://rubygems.rubyforge.org (over one million gems served!)
> _______________________________________________
> Rails mailing list
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid
> http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails
>


--
Randy S.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
267.334.6833
Chad F. (Guest)
on 2006-02-23 00:08
(Received via mailing list)
On 2/22/06, Randy S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Do you know how many recipes the book will eventually contain? Or are
> you going to just keep adding them?

Hi Randy.  I'm targeting 70(ish).  The book will end up weighing in at
around 350 pages.


--
Chad F.
http://chadfowler.com
http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/fr_rr/ (Rails Recipes - In Beta!)
http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/mjwti/ (My Job Went to India,
and All I Got Was This Lousy Book)
http://rubycentral.org
http://rubygarden.org
http://rubygems.rubyforge.org (over one million gems served!)
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.