Ruby on Rails and other sites use PHP?

I can’t think of a good reason, other than it’s legacy code which hasn’t
gotten around to being changed to RoR.

http://www.loudthinking.com/?=PHPE9568F36-D428-11d2-A769-00AA001ACF42

See this post - “PHP Easter Eggs”:

Joe

Joe wrote:

I can’t think of a good reason, other than it’s legacy code which hasn’t
gotten around to being changed to RoR.

Use the right tool for the job. PHP is excellent for glueing some
includes together with some HTML and CSS.

For the record, the RoR website also runs Python. I don’t see what the
big deal is, to be honest.

Jakob L. Skjerning wrote:

Joe wrote:

I can’t think of a good reason, other than it’s legacy code which hasn’t
gotten around to being changed to RoR.

Use the right tool for the job. PHP is excellent for glueing some
includes together with some HTML and CSS.

So is Rails. And Ruby. And Perl. And SHTML. And many others.

For the record, the RoR website also runs Python. I don’t see what the
big deal is, to be honest.

It’s like Sun running .Net. Or Microsoft running Linux. A front page is
trivially easy in Rails…

Joe

While I agree with your point, I’d rather have David and the team keep
working on Rails then convert their website over. I’m sure that if
someone
wanted to volunteer to do all the work, they would give it some thought.

Bob S.
http://www.railtie.net/

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 10:21:01PM +0100, Joe wrote:
} Jakob L. Skjerning wrote:
} > Joe wrote:
} >> I can’t think of a good reason, other than it’s legacy code which
} >> hasn’t gotten around to being changed to RoR.
} >
}
} So is Rails. And Ruby. And Perl. And SHTML. And many others.
}
} > For the record, the RoR website also runs Python. I don’t see what
the
} > big deal is, to be honest.
}
} It’s like Sun running .Net. Or Microsoft running Linux. A front page
is
} trivially easy in Rails…

It’s more a matter of eating your own dog food. If what you are
promoting
(particularly relevant for rubyonrails.org and 37signals) isn’t good
enough
for you to use yourself, why should anyone else use it? There is also
something to be said for forcing people to use what they are working on.
Look up the history of the transition from SunOS to Solaris.

} Joe
–Greg

It’s more a matter of eating your own dog food. If what you are promoting
(particularly relevant for rubyonrails.org and 37signals) isn’t good enough
for you to use yourself, why should anyone else use it? There is also
something to be said for forcing people to use what they are working on.
Look up the history of the transition from SunOS to Solaris.

I agree. You should eat your own dog food. So for web applications
we built specifically for rubyonrails.org, we wouldn’t dream of using
anything but Rails. Thus, we use Typo (weblog), Hieraki (manuals), and
i2 (wiki). All open-source Rails applications.

For wiring together static pages? I rather like PHP. I wouldn’t
recommend anyone to use Rails for something as simple as wiring
together a couple of static pages with headers and footers.

If rubyonrails.org was to get a real content-management system
running, then yes, of course we should be using Rails (unless there
was a good existing system in another language).

Note that we also use Python for Trac and I think Perl is involved
with running the mailing list.

David Heinemeier H.
http://www.loudthinking.com – Broadcasting Brain
http://www.basecamphq.com – Online project management
http://www.backpackit.com – Personal information manager
http://www.rubyonrails.com – Web-application framework

David
> For wiring together static pages? I rather like PHP. I wouldn’t
> recommend anyone to use Rails for something as simple as wiring
> together a couple of static pages with headers and footers.

Why is PHP better than Rails at that simple but frequent kind of tasks?

That’s why people keep saying : “eat your own dog food”. If you do, then
you’ll feel pain in places you normally never exercise, and maybe you’ll
want to start acting on it.

Alain