Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] Emacs rails.el

dima (Guest)
Features:
* Management WEBrick - start, stop
* Viewing log files
* Abbrev from TextMate
* Switching between View/Action

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/rails.el
Human D. (Guest)
I'm new to emacs, how should I enable this mode?
I've copied rails.el and all ruby's el files to
C:\emacs-21.3\lisp\progmodes and edited the .emacs file, but there is
a problem.
I have syntax coloring, but an strange auto-complete, it autocomplete
everything, lisp command, dir and files, etc.

What's wrong in my conif? May anyone help me, please?

Thanks

Here is my .emacs file:

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste
it!
 '(case-fold-search t)
 '(current-language-environment "Latin-1")
 '(default-frame-alist (quote ((mouse-color . "black") (tool-bar-lines
. 0) (menu-bar-lines . 1) (background-color . "black")
(foreground-color . "white") (cursor-color . "orange") (cursor-type .
box) (active-alpha . 0.875) (inactive-alpha . 0.75))))
 '(default-input-method "latin-1-prefix")
 '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))
 '(pop-up-frames nil))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(default ((t (:stipple nil :background "black" :foreground "white"
:inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil :overline nil
:underline nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 111 :width normal
:family "outline-consolas"))))
 '(cursor ((t (:background "orange"))))
 '(mouse ((t (:background "black")))))

(autoload 'ruby-mode "ruby-mode" "Mode for editing ruby source files" t)
(setq auto-mode-alist (append '(("\\.rb$" . ruby-mode))
auto-mode-alist))
(setq interpreter-mode-alist (append '(("ruby" . ruby-mode))
interpreter-mode-alist))

(autoload 'run-ruby "inf-ruby" "Run an inferior Ruby process")
(autoload 'inf-ruby-keys "inf-ruby" "Set local key defs for inf-ruby
in ruby-mode")
(add-hook 'ruby-mode-hook
      '(lambda ()
         (inf-ruby-keys)
))

;;(require 'ruby-electric)
(require 'rails)
Dee Z. (Guest)
dima wrote:
> Features:
> * Management WEBrick - start, stop
> * Viewing log files
> * Abbrev from TextMate
> * Switching between View/Action
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/rails.el

I love it! Just made some adjustments for rjs templates, keep up the
good
work!

Zsombor
Jules J. (Guest)
on 2006-02-05 16:21
Your Lisp coding style is really weird...all those )'s on separate lines
;-).

I'm going to love this, because, until now, I have not used a
Rails-aware editor.

Thanks!

Jules
Dima E. (Guest)
on 2006-02-05 18:06
Human D. wrote:
> I'm new to emacs, how should I enable this mode?
> I've copied rails.el and all ruby's el files to
> C:\emacs-21.3\lisp\progmodes and edited the .emacs file, but there is
> a problem.
> I have syntax coloring, but an strange auto-complete, it autocomplete
> everything, lisp command, dir and files, etc.
>
> What's wrong in my conif? May anyone help me, please?

I do not know in what a problem, just in case here my fragment .emacs

--
(autoload 'ruby-mode "ruby-mode" "Ruby editing mode." t)
(setq auto-mode-alist  (cons '("\\.rb$" . ruby-mode) auto-mode-alist))

(modify-coding-system-alist 'file "\\.rb$" 'utf-8-dos)
(modify-coding-system-alist 'file "\\.rhtml$" 'utf-8-dos)

(require 'rails)

(add-hook 'ruby-mode-hook
          (lambda()
            (add-hook 'local-write-file-hooks
                      '(lambda()
                         (save-excursion
                           (untabify (point-min) (point-max))
                           (delete-trailing-whitespace)
                           )))
            (set (make-local-variable 'indent-tabs-mode) 'nil)
            (set (make-local-variable 'tab-width) 2)
            (imenu-add-to-menubar "IMENU")
            (require 'ruby-electric)
            (ruby-electric-mode t)
            ))
Dima E. (Guest)
on 2006-02-05 18:12
dima wrote:
> Features:
> * Management WEBrick - start, stop
> * Viewing log files
> * Abbrev from TextMate
> * Switching between View/Action
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/rails.el

New location of a file
https://opensvn.csie.org/mvision/emacs/.emacs.d/rails.el
Changes:
* Added support RJS templates
* Added navigation on configuration files in the menu
* rails now run a minor-mode
Stefan K. (Guest)
dima wrote:
> Features:
> * Management WEBrick - start, stop
> * Viewing log files
> * Abbrev from TextMate
> * Switching between View/Action
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/rails.el
Hm. I'm getting errors when trying to view a log file:

    Symbol's function definition is void: rails-make-menu.

Any idea how I could fix this?

-- stefan

--
For rails performance tuning, see: http://railsexpress.de/blog
Hello, Stefan K.!
 > dima wrote:
 >> Features:
 >> * Management WEBrick - start, stop
 >> * Viewing log files
 >> * Abbrev from TextMate
 >> * Switching between View/Action
 >>
 >> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/rails.el
 > Hm. I'm getting errors when trying to view a log file:
 >
 >    Symbol's function definition is void: rails-make-menu.
 >
 > Any idea how I could fix this?
Already fixed, update you copy from
dima wrote:
> > Hm. I'm getting errors when trying to view a log file:
> >
> >    Symbol's function definition is void: rails-make-menu.
> >
> > Any idea how I could fix this?
> Already fixed, update you copy from
> https://opensvn.csie.org/mvision/emacs/.emacs.d/rails.el

hm. now I get:

Compiling file c:/Programme/emacs-21.3/site-lisp/rails.el at Tue Feb 07
00:21:06 2006
  !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "snippet"))

when trying to byte-compile rails.el

-- stefan

--
For rails performance tuning, see: http://railsexpress.de/blog
Hei Stefan!

 Tue, 07 Feb 2006, Stefan K. skrev:

> Compiling file c:/Programme/emacs-21.3/site-lisp/rails.el at Tue Feb 07
> 00:21:06 2006
>  !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "snippet"))
>
> when trying to byte-compile rails.el

~/lisp$ wget http://cryptocracy.hn.org/~cartel/elisp/snippet.el

in your .emacs:
(load "~/lisp/snippet.el")
(load "~/lisp/rails.el")
(require 'rails)

- Henrik
Stefan K. (Guest)
Henrik Ormåsen wrote:
>> when trying to byte-compile rails.el
>
> - Henrik

Thx. Now I only need a way to get color coding working for log views in
emacs ...

-- stefan

--
For rails performance tuning, see: http://railsexpress.de/blog
> Thx. Now I only need a way to get color coding working for log views in
> emacs ...

If you find out how to make emacs interpret the ANSI codes as colors,
please let me know :)

cheers
Gerret
Maiha Ishimura (Guest)
on 2006-02-07 14:21
rails.el is too cool! but I found a bit problem.

Although a view path will be set to "adminpage" from camel named
controller
such as "AdminPageController", it should be "admin_page" in Rails rule.

The following patch fixes this problem.
http://rails.wota.jp/pubs/patches/rails-el-underscore.patch

thanks.

-- Maiha
Nick S. (Guest)
On 2/7/06, Gerret A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > Thx. Now I only need a way to get color coding working for log views in
> > emacs ...
>
> If you find out how to make emacs interpret the ANSI codes as colors,
> please let me know :)

There's ansi-color.el [1].  AFAIK it's been part of the GNU Emacs distro
since v 21.  Works for me with shell-mode, but I haven't tried
configuring
it with other items (like rails log files).

Cheers,
/Nick

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ansi-color.el
Dima E. (Guest)
Hello, Maiha Ishimura!
on 07.02.2006 15:21

> -- Maiha

I merge you patch.
Big thanks!
Dima E. (Guest)
Hello, Nick S.!
on 07.02.2006 19:03
>     please let me know :)
>

> There's ansi-color.el [1].  AFAIK it's been part of the GNU Emacs distro
> since v 21.  Works for me with shell-mode, but I haven't tried
> configuring it with other items (like rails log files).
>
> Cheers,
> /Nick
>
> [1] http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ansi-color.el
Thanks for assistance.
rails.el now display color logs:)
Gerret A. (Guest)
While we're on the rails+emacs topic --

I'm still looking for a good way to auto-indent rhtml files in an
emacs buffer. Currently I use ruby-mode, ruby-electric and rails mode.
rhtml indentation is a real pain to keep like this.

If any of you have found a way to auto-indent rhtml I'd love to hear
about it.

cheers
Gerret
San (Guest)
Looks terrific.  Two nits so far (emacs 21.3.1):

When I hit 'ctrl-t' I end up with:

"Symbol's value as variable is void: html-mode-abbrev-table" the first
time.  The second time I hit ctrl-t it works.

Also, I've included 'snippet.el' but can't trigger abbreviation
expansion with TAB.  Ideas?

--
from my .emacs:
;rails mode

(require 'snippet)

(defun try-complete-abbrev (old)
   (if (expand-abbrev) t nil))

(setq hippie-expand-try-functions-list
       '(try-complete-abbrev
         try-complete-file-name
         try-expand-dabbrev))

(add-hook 'ruby-mode-hook
(lambda()
   (add-hook 'local-write-file-hooks
             '(lambda()
                (save-excursion
                  (untabify (point-min) (point-max))
                  (delete-trailing-whitespace)
                  )))
   (set (make-local-variable 'indent-tabs-mode) 'nil)
   (set (make-local-variable 'tab-width) 2)
   (imenu-add-to-menubar "IMENU")
   (require 'ruby-electric)
   (ruby-electric-mode t)
   ))

(require 'rails)
Frederick R. (Guest)
San wrote :
| Also, I've included 'snippet.el' but can't trigger abbreviation
| expansion with TAB.  Ideas?

Hi,

In fact I also had a problem to make snippet work with ruby-mode: the
TAB does not work for expansion whereas any other key works. This is
IMHO related to the ruby-mode only (note that I also have problemn with
snippet + c-mode, but not related to the TAB key ;)

--
Frederick R. aka Sleeper -- removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Don't diddle code to make it faster - find a better algorithm.
            - The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plaugher)
Dima E. (Guest)
Hello, San!
on 08.02.2006 0:02
> Looks terrific.  Two nits so far (emacs 21.3.1):
>
> When I hit 'ctrl-t' I end up with:
>
> "Symbol's value as variable is void: html-mode-abbrev-table" the first
> time.  The second time I hit ctrl-t it works.

try add in you .emacs this line, if not exists
(setq auto-mode-alist  (cons '("\\.rhtml$" . html-mode)
auto-mode-alist))

> Also, I've included 'snippet.el' but can't trigger abbreviation
> expansion with TAB.  Ideas?

rec<press TAB> - not work?

Hmm... no ideas
I'm using emacs from cvs 22.0.50.1 (2005/11/26), do not see this problem
San (Guest)
Hi Dima,

>> "Symbol's value as variable is void: html-mode-abbrev-table" the first
>> time.  The second time I hit ctrl-t it works.
>
> try add in you .emacs this line, if not exists
> (setq auto-mode-alist  (cons '("\\.rhtml$" . html-mode) auto-mode-alist))

Doesn't help w/ 21.3 or 21.4

Upgrading to CVS HEAD _does_ fix it.

>> Also, I've included 'snippet.el' but can't trigger abbreviation
>> expansion with TAB.  Ideas?
>

> rec<press TAB> - not work?

No.  (But I sure want it to! ;)

 > Hmm... no ideas
 > I'm using emacs from cvs 22.0.50.1 (2005/11/26), do not see this
problem

I just upgraded to 22.0.50.1, still no luck with TAB

I'm also running ECB (Emacs Code Browser).  Perhaps there's a conflict?

I tried (kbd "<f8">) instead of (kbd "<tab>") and that works.  Though it
  gets me the crappy minibuffer prompt instead of the cool snippet.el
inline mode.

Thoughts?

(Wishing he was more of an elisp hack)
-San
Guest (Guest)
on 2006-02-08 18:49
> I tried (kbd "<f8">) instead of (kbd "<tab>") and that works.  Though it
>   gets me the crappy minibuffer prompt instead of the cool snippet.el
> inline mode.
>
> Thoughts?

Try to update rails.el

I rewrited code working with snippets.
There are a lot of changes in this part, of the code.

This must help.
San (Guest)
Ok, some minor troubles:

I added find-recursive.el ok.   Then ran into the following:

I commented out the following:

   ;(find-recursive-directory-relative-files  "Z:/WWW/cms3/ftp/ror/app/"
"" "\\.rb$")

Tried ctrl-T.  It gives:

   File /sites/foo.com/TAGS is not a valid tags table

   But will work the second time.

TAB still doesn't work.  Nor does CTRL-.  Rebount <tab> to <F8> and that
doesn't work now either.

If I add ruby-electric.el via 'add-hook':

   (add-hook 'ruby-mode-hook
   (lambda()
     (ruby-electric-mode t)
   ))

   It no longer works when I (require 'rails)

Syntax coloring for ruby-mode is disabled.

Let me know if I can be of more help.
Dima E. (Guest)
Hello, San!
on 08.02.2006 21:23
> Ok, some minor troubles:
>
> I added find-recursive.el ok.   Then ran into the following:
>
> I commented out the following:
>
>   ;(find-recursive-directory-relative-files  "Z:/WWW/cms3/ftp/ror/app/"
> "" "\\.rb$")

Corrected

> Tried ctrl-T.  It gives:
>
>   File /sites/foo.com/TAGS is not a valid tags table
>
>   But will work the second time.

Corrected

>   It no longer works when I (require 'rails)
>
> Syntax coloring for ruby-mode is disabled.
>

> Let me know if I can be of more help.

Yet I do not know, from for what it can not work
San (Guest)
Hi Dima!  Big improvements, we're super close.

re: syntax highlighting

If I comment out the following line in rails-minor-mode:

;******** uncomment and this breaks highlighting
;  (visit-tags-table tags-file-name t)

Then syntax coloring starts to work again.   Now I don't have a TAGS
file setup, so perhaps the function is failing and causing the rest of
the hooks not to run?  I'm groking elisp a little now, but not enough.

re: TAB key

I've removed ECB and just about everything else in my .emacs file.
binding to <tab> still doesn't work, but I can bind to <f8> and that
does work.

Here's what's left of my .emacs:

;;----------------------------------------------------------------------------
;; Set up syntax highlighting (font-lock)
;;----------------------------------------------------------------------------

(cond ((fboundp 'global-font-lock-mode)
        ;; Turn on font-lock in all modes that support it
        (global-font-lock-mode t)
        ;; Maximum colors
        (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)))

(setq ruby-program-name "/usr/local/bin/ruby")
(autoload 'ruby-mode "ruby-mode" "Mode for editing ruby source files")
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\.rb$" . ruby-mode))
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\.rjs$" . ruby-mode))
(add-to-list 'interpreter-mode-alist '("ruby" . ruby-mode))

(require 'ruby-electric)

(defun try-complete-abbrev (old)
   (if (expand-abbrev) t nil))

(setq hippie-expand-try-functions-list
       '(try-complete-abbrev
         try-complete-file-name
         try-expand-dabbrev))

(require 'rails)

(add-hook 'ruby-mode-hook
(lambda()
   (ruby-electric-mode t)
))

That's it... nothing else (removed ECB, etc)

Note: ruby-mode.el and ruby-electric.el are the latest from CVS
CVS HEAD emacs running in text mode under ssh/putty & screen.

Broken Stuff:

* No TAB key
* (visit-tags-table) seems to be breaking font-lock

thoughts?

Good stuff:

* abbrevs, snippet replace mode, Ctrl-T and everything else seem to work
great.

rails.el rocks!  This completely demotivates me from buying a MacBook ;)

Thanks,

-San
San (Guest)
Hi Dima,

Here's a fix to make TAB work:

             (local-set-key (kbd "TAB") 'ruby-indent-or-complete)

Just replace '<tab>' with 'TAB' and all is good.  Does that work on your
end too?

I can't find any docs on the (kbd) function in elisp.  (Where does one
find this stuff?)

Best,

-San
Rob B. (Guest)
C-h f kbd RET

(local-set-key [tab] 'ruby-indent-or-complete)

-Rob
San (Guest)
Sweet, thanks Rob.

Dima, these fix the keyboard for me:

             (local-set-key (kbd "TAB") 'ruby-indent-or-complete)
             (local-set-key (kbd "RET") 'ruby-newline-and-indent)
             (local-set-key (kbd "DEL") 'backward-delete-char-untabify)

'<return>' and 'RET' are supposed to be synonomous, but RET works for me
<return> doesn't.

Emacs + rails.el now bring joy to coding.

-San
Rob B. (Guest)
When you've got a few minutes, look at the value of global-map
C-h v global-map RET

In general, the argument is described best under define-key
C-h f define-key RET

But the "vector" is symbols or key values

These should be equivalent:
             (local-set-key [tab] 'ruby-indent-or-complete)
             (local-set-key "\C-i" 'ruby-indent-or-complete)
             (local-set-key [9] 'ruby-indent-or-complete)

             (local-set-key [return] 'ruby-newline-and-indent)
             (local-set-key "\C-m" 'ruby-newline-and-indent)
             (local-set-key [13] 'ruby-newline-and-indent)

These are tricky...
             (local-set-key [backspace] 'backward-delete-char-untabify)

         ;; the [delete] is likely on the number pad
             (local-set-key [delete] 'delete-char)

         ;; take your chances...
             (local-set-key "\C-?" 'backward-delete-char-untabify)

You can probably guess what these mean:  [f8] [C-f11] [S-f3]

Here's a good way to figure out was a key IS rather than what it does:

C-h c KEYHERE C-h l

That's "describe-key-briefly" the key you want (which might be more
than one!) "view-lossage"

I use "view-lossage" when my fingers remember a command, but I can't
;-)  (that stuff happens when you've used emacs on numerous platforms
over 20 years and your ~/.emacs file is approaching 1000 lines)

-Rob
Stefan K. (Guest)
dima wrote:
>>     If you find out how to make emacs interpret the ANSI codes as
>>
>> [1] http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ansi-color.el
> Thanks for assistance.
> rails.el now display color logs:)
Cool.

-- stefan

--
For rails performance tuning, see: http://railsexpress.de/blog
With the most recent change I'm getting a 'Symbol's function

(add-to-list 'load-path
             "/opt/emacs")

(setq x-select-request-type '(UTF8_STRING COMPOUND_TEXT TEXT STRING))
(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
(setq interprogram-paste-function 'x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value)

(load-file "/opt/emacs/common/cedet.el")

;; Enabling various SEMANTIC minor modes.  See semantic/INSTALL for more
ideas.
;; Select one of the following
(semantic-load-enable-code-helpers)
;; (semantic-load-enable-guady-code-helpers)
;; (semantic-load-enable-excessive-code-helpers)

;; Enable this if you develop in semantic, or develop grammars
;; (semantic-load-enable-semantic-debugging-helpers)

(require 'ecb-autoloads)
(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste
it!
 '(case-fold-search t)
 '(current-language-environment "Latin-1")
 '(default-input-method "latin-1-prefix")
 '(ecb-kill-buffer-clears-history (quote auto))
 '(ecb-layout-name "left5")
 '(ecb-layout-window-sizes (quote (("left5" (0.15355805243445692 .
0.2823529411764706) (0.15355805243445692 . 0.32941176470588235)
(0.15355805243445692 . 0.3411764705882353)) ("left8"
(0.1647940074906367 . 0.25882352941176473) (0.1647940074906367 .
0.23529411764705882) (0.1647940074906367 . 0.2) (0.1647940074906367 .
0.25882352941176473)))))
 '(ecb-maximize-ecb-window-after-selection t)
 '(ecb-options-version "2.32")
 '(ecb-primary-secondary-mouse-buttons (quote mouse-1--mouse-2))
 '(ecb-redraw-layout-quickly t)
 '(ecb-source-path (quote (("/" "/") ("/var/www/ceivecms" "CeiveCMS")
("/var/www/allenmortuary" "AllenMortuary"))))
 '(ecb-tip-of-the-day nil)
 '(ecb-tree-buffer-style (quote image))
 '(ecb-tree-expand-symbol-before nil)
 '(ecb-windows-height 0.5)
 '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))
 '(mouse-wheel-mode t nil (mwheel)))
(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 )
(global-set-key "\M-g" 'goto-line)

(defun try-complete-abbrev (old)
  (if (expand-abbrev) t nil))

(setq hippie-expand-try-functions-list
      '(try-complete-abbrev
	try-complete-file-name
	try-expand-dabbrev))

(setq interpreter-mode-alist
      (cons '("ruby" . ruby-mode) interpreter-mode-alist))
(setq auto-mode-alist
      (cons '("\\.rb$" . ruby-mode) auto-mode-alist))
(autoload 'ruby-mode "ruby-mode" nil t)
(require 'rails)