Forum: Ruby POP email with SSL

Mark V. (Guest)
Can someone point me to an example of reading email from a server
using POP and SSL?
James B. (Guest)
Mark V. wrote:
> Can someone point me to an example of reading email from a server
> using POP and SSL?

I *think* the ruby gmail library (see rubyforge, if it's up) does this.

---
James B.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, but the illusion
of knowledge."
  - D. Boorstin
Scott B. (Guest)
On 2/4/06, James B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> "The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, but the illusion
> of knowledge."
>   - D. Boorstin

I believe that the gmail lib uses net/https for doing its work.  I don't
think 1.8.x pop3 lib can do SSL (without you manually setting up the
socket)
but the pop3 lib from CVS can.  If you work at it, you can pull that
into
1.8.4 and use it by renaming some things.

-Scott
Sam G. (Guest)
On 2/5/06, Scott B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> 1.8.4 and use it by renaming some things.
I was trying to do a similar thing a while back, and found someone
who'd already had the same problem and solved it for me.

http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby...

Page down to the end to see the pop3s bit.

Sam
Poornima D. (Guest)
on 2009-02-17 08:06
Hello,

  I want to get my inbox messages from my account.i tried wit pop.i
can't get my inbox messages.i got "undefined method `enable_ssl' for
Net::POP3:Class (NoMethodError)" error.my code is

Net::POP3.enable_ssl(OpenSSL::SSL::VERIFY_NONE)
conn = Net::POP3.new('pop.gmail.com',110)
conn.start('removed_email_address@domain.invalid','praveena1')

conn.mails.each do |pop|
    msg = pop.mails[0]

  # Print the 'From:' header line
  puts msg.header.split("\r\n").grep(/^From: /)

  # Put message to $stdout (by calling <<)
  puts "\nFull message:\n"
  msg.all($stdout)