Ruby-mode in emacs

Hi,
I’m new to emacs, just bought a book and started my way into it.
How could I enable ruby-mode in emacs?
I copied all 4 *.el files to C:\emacs-21.3\lisp\progmodes, and enabled
global font lock (through the menu)
I have the syntax coloring but not auto-complete or anything else.
How do I enable auto-complete? and is there another features in these
modes?

Thanks,

  • H

Here is my .emacs file:
(autoload 'ruby-mode “ruby-mode” “Ruby editing mode.” t)
(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\.rb$" . ruby-mode) auto-mode-alist))

(custom-set-variables
;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom – don’t edit or cut/paste
it!
'(case-fold-search t)
'(current-language-environment “Latin-1”)
'(default-input-method “latin-1-prefix”)
'(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock)))
(custom-set-faces
;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom – don’t edit or cut/paste it!
)

From: Human D. [email protected]
Subject: ruby-mode in emacs
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 09:00:09 +0900

I have the syntax coloring but not auto-complete or anything else.
How do I enable auto-complete? and is there another features in these modes?

Do you complete Ruby tokens like emacs-lisp?

If you want to complete Ruby tokens, use exuberant ctags.

First make `TAGS’, the tag file.
$ ctags -e *.rb

Then enable the tag file.
M-x visit-tags-table

(defun ruby-mode-hook0 ()
(define-key ruby-mode-map “\M-\C-i” 'complete-tag)
)

(add-hook 'inferior-ruby-mode-hook 'inferior-ruby-mode-hook0)

And if you want to complete in inferior-ruby-mode, you can use irbsh.
Irbsh extends inferior-ruby-mode to enable you to complete Ruby tokens,
and to execute shell commands.

http://www.rubyist.net/~rubikitch/computer/irbsh/index.en.html

If you want to complete Ruby tokens, use exuberant ctags.

FWIW the Zeus for Windows IDE provides seamless integration
with the Exuberant Ctags utility:

Zeus IDE - Programming environment for Windows developers

Basically you create a project/workspace, add the source
files to the project and Zeus will automatically manage
the updating of the ctags information.

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows IDE
Note: Zeus is shareware (45 day trial).