Forum: Ruby What is YARV?

Jim (Guest)
I see it's a VM for Ruby, but what does that mean and what is it good
for?
Wilson B. (Guest)
On 2/4/06, Jim <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I see it's a VM for Ruby, but what does that mean and what is it good
> for?

Here's a poster from last year that may help explain what it's all
about:
http://www.atdot.net/~ko1/tmp/OOPSLA05_poster.pdf
David V. (Guest)
Put shortly, it's a Rubyists (for given values of Rubyist, notably
including
me) biggest dream. If it works out, Ruby scripts will run Damn Fast
compared
to how they do now. They could also be distributable in a compact
wordcode
form, for all the good and bad that brings.

<rant>
i also silently hope for YARV to run / compile in a mode without support
for
string-based eval, the mild deprecation of that horrible, completely
unoptimizable language feature in the core / stdlib in favour of the
multitude of much cleaner reflection and metaprogramming present in
Ruby, so
that there's at least a remote hope of such wonders like clean blocks
that
don't prevent their entire scope from being GCed just because the
interpreter
can't tell whether it will be used. Etc.
</rant>

David V.

DÅ?a Sobota 04 Február 2006 22:53 Jim napísal: