Forum: Ruby on Rails I just can't figure it out !

Peter (Guest)
on 2006-02-04 19:42
Howdy RailsWarriors,

Its probably dead easy but I don't see it.
Got this in my controller.

def new_computer
User.find(params[:id]).computers.create(:comp => 'New Comp:')
end

Which with an .rjs template creates a div at the bottom of my list.
This all works like a charm.
But in the partial I load in my rjs I also have a button for 'delete' in
the 'div'
So my question is:
How do I get the 'id' of the newly created computer I created in my
controller?
I need that id to populate that in the partial I load in the rjs
template.

Thanks in advance.
Gerret A. (Guest)
Peter, why don't you store the new computer in an instance variable
that will be available to your RJS template and the partial?

cheers
Gerret
Daniel W. (Guest)
Not quite sure what you're trying to do, but the database id of an
object is available to that object after calling object.save.

e.g.

@o = Object.new params[:object]
@o.save.id # 1

- Rabbit

---
Peter (Guest)
on 2006-02-05 16:15
Gerret A. wrote:
> Peter, why don't you store the new computer in an instance variable
> that will be available to your RJS template and the partial?
>
> cheers
> Gerret

Of course !!!
Stupid me.