Forum: Ruby Ruby IDEs

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Chris (Guest)
on 2006-02-03 22:28
After years of programming in C++, Java et al my new job used Smalltalk
which I have now been completely sold on :) I would like to progress
into Ruby with it being similar and one of the up and coming dynamic
languages of choice. Still don't understand why Smalltalk isn't more
popular though lol.

However the thing I probably most like is the binary image and multiple
window IDE with Smalltalk; navigation through code seems so much easier
than file based. Is there a Ruby IDE that anyone can recommend that will
make me want to choose it over Smalltalk?
Mark V. (Guest)
on 2006-02-03 23:17
(Received via mailing list)
On 2/3/06, Chris <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> After years of programming in C++, Java et al my new job used Smalltalk
> which I have now been completely sold on :) I would like to progress
> into Ruby with it being similar and one of the up and coming dynamic
> languages of choice. Still don't understand why Smalltalk isn't more
> popular though lol.

Join the club. I also don't understand why Smalltalk isn't more
popular. The only explanation I have is that Smalltalk environments
where expensive at the time that Java hit the scene. Of course now you
can use Squeak and maybe other Smalltalk environments for free, but
the damage has been done. It's tough to resurrect a past language once
the crowd has moved on.

> However the thing I probably most like is the binary image and multiple
> window IDE with Smalltalk; navigation through code seems so much easier
> than file based. Is there a Ruby IDE that anyone can recommend that will
> make me want to choose it over Smalltalk?

I'm not aware of any Ruby IDE is that is really like a Smalltalk
environment.
unknown (Guest)
on 2006-02-04 00:15
(Received via mailing list)
On Saturday 04 February 2006 05:28 am, Chris wrote:
> After years of programming in C++, Java et al my new job used Smalltalk
> which I have now been completely sold on :) I would like to progress
> into Ruby with it being similar and one of the up and coming dynamic
> languages of choice. Still don't understand why Smalltalk isn't more
> popular though lol.
>
> However the thing I probably most like is the binary image and multiple
> window IDE with Smalltalk; navigation through code seems so much easier
> than file based. Is there a Ruby IDE that anyone can recommend that will
> make me want to choose it over Smalltalk?

Just out of curiosity, what features are you looking for?

Tsume
David V. (Guest)
on 2006-02-06 02:09
(Received via mailing list)
DÅ?a Piatok 03 Február 2006 21:28 Chris napísal:
> Still don't understand why Smalltalk isn't more popular

1. Don't use lol. Never. Ever. It's not ponctuation, it's not a
standalone
sentence, it's not even a proper word, for cripes sake.

2. The Smalltalk image-based paradigm was comfortable, but it had its
disadvantages too. It was very difficult to deploy an application short
of
copying over the entire image, and the packaging systems that existed
were
largely vendor-specific and pretty much completely incompatible. And
speaking
of vendor incompatibility, there's whole sagas to speak there. The fact
that
Smalltalk essentially was its IDE also made it hard to remotely patch up
a
server you actually made to run on a headless machine. Etcetcetc.

Smalltalk was / is a great language, but it got a -lot- of very
essential
things wrong, so I don't really wonder about the end of the ST era.

Personally, I prefer the fact I very rarely actually need an IDE for
Ruby
because everything is so damn intuitive, but KDevelopis my homie for the
creature comforts of organizing files in a project and syntax
highlighting
when I don't feel like switching over to XEmacs all the time.

David V.
tony summerfelt (Guest)
on 2006-02-06 15:31
(Received via mailing list)
David V. wrote on 2/5/2006 7:07 PM:

> 1. Don't use lol. Never. Ever. It's not ponctuation, it's not a standalone
> sentence, it's not even a proper word, for cripes sake.

lol

that's like telling people not to top post anymore. or telling people
about their spelling checker.

sorry. lol. couldn't resist. at least i got my poncuation right. :)

and to keep this even remotely on topic:

> 2. The Smalltalk image-based paradigm was comfortable,

not to those of us who cut our teeth on turbo pascal v3.0. i tried to
get into oberon (on dos way back when) which had a similar feel to a
smalltalk environment. i guess some people latch right on to it and
feel at home, but most people didn't and neither did the industry...
Bill K. (Guest)
on 2006-02-06 21:49
(Received via mailing list)
From: "David V." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
>
> > Still don't understand why Smalltalk isn't more popular
>
> 1. Don't use lol. Never. Ever. It's not ponctuation, it's not a standalone
> sentence, it's not even a proper word, for cripes sake.

"cripes sake" ?  =D
David V. (Guest)
on 2006-02-07 01:26
(Received via mailing list)
DÅ?a Pondelok 06 Február 2006 14:29 tony summerfelt napísal:
> at least i got my poncuation right. :)
>

However, your spelling checker doesn't seem to work :P

I also lack the caffeine blood level to put this back on track, but I
couldn't
resist.

Could be worse. Could be a PNG of an owl with "Buttsecks?" written
across it.
(Don't ask)
Mr. Test (Guest)
on 2006-02-07 15:00
David V. wrote:
> Could be worse. Could be a PNG of an owl with "Buttsecks?" written
> across it.
> (Don't ask)

http://www.ellipsis.cx/~inertia/graphics/buttsecks.jpg
tony summerfelt (Guest)
on 2006-02-07 15:08
(Received via mailing list)
David V. wrote on 2/6/2006 6:23 PM:

> DÅ?a Pondelok 06 Február 2006 14:29 tony summerfelt napísal:

>> at least i got my poncuation right. :)


> However, your spelling checker doesn't seem to work :P

ah, well, i knew my attempt at cleverness would be lost on some. check
out his spelling first :) adding [sic] after my intentional
mis-spelling would have been to too obvious
David V. (Guest)
on 2006-02-07 18:04
(Received via mailing list)
DÅ?a Utorok 07 Február 2006 14:07 tony summerfelt napísal:
> David V. wrote on 2/6/2006 6:23 PM:
> > DÅ?a Pondelok 06 Február 2006 14:29 tony summerfelt napísal:
> >> at least i got my poncuation right. :)
> >
> > However, your spelling checker doesn't seem to work :P
>
> ah, well, i knew my attempt at cleverness would be lost on some. check
> out his spelling first :) adding [sic] after my intentional
> mis-spelling would have been to too obvious

*bangs head against wall*

I blame five years of bilingual Franco-Slovak highschool - that left
some
major brain damage. I've possibly been more ridiculed by native english
speakers for that particular personal quirk with the word "punctuation"
(is
that finally correct?) than for any other language rape I've managed to
commit.

Well, that's another complete embarassment of the day. Could be worse.
The guy
with the buttsecks owl could have mailed the image to the list instead
of
just a link.

David V.
Michal S. (Guest)
on 2006-02-08 14:26
(Received via mailing list)
On 2/6/06, tony summerfelt <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> David V. wrote on 2/5/2006 7:07 PM:
>
> > 1. Don't use lol. Never. Ever. It's not ponctuation, it's not a standalone
> > sentence, it's not even a proper word, for cripes sake.

Do not use `never'.  Never. Ever :)

Michal
Karl von Laudermann (Guest)
on 2006-02-08 17:49
(Received via mailing list)
David V. wrote:
> Dna Piatok 03 Február 2006 21:28 Chris napísal:
> > Still don't understand why Smalltalk isn't more popular
>
> 1. Don't use lol. Never. Ever. It's not ponctuation, it's not a standalone
> sentence, it's not even a proper word, for cripes sake.

It's OK to use LOL, as long as you use it properly:
http://www.geocities.com/~karlvonl/blog/2005/12/lo...
David V. (Guest)
on 2006-02-08 23:28
(Received via mailing list)
DÅ?a Streda 08 Február 2006 16:13 Karl von Laudermann napísal:
> David V. wrote:
> > Dna Piatok 03 Február 2006 21:28 Chris napísal:
> > > Still don't understand why Smalltalk isn't more popular
> >
> > 1. Don't use lol. Never. Ever. It's not ponctuation, it's not a
> > standalone sentence, it's not even a proper word, for cripes sake.
>
> It's OK to use LOL, as long as you use it properly:
> http://www.geocities.com/~karlvonl/blog/2005/12/lo....
>html

I'm well aware of that, but I still can't bear the stand of the TLA even
then.
We have these things called "onomatopoeia" that work just as well. I
indicate
laughter with a "Heh" - same number of letters to type, not nearly as
lame.
Etc.

David V.
Christian N. (Guest)
on 2006-02-09 15:39
(Received via mailing list)
David V. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

>>html
>
> I'm well aware of that, but I still can't bear the stand of the TLA even then.
> We have these things called "onomatopoeia" that work just as well. I indicate
> laughter with a "Heh" - same number of letters to type, not nearly as lame.
> Etc.

I actually know people that speak "LOL" out when they laugh... ;-P
David V. (Guest)
on 2006-02-09 22:19
(Received via mailing list)
DÅ?a Å tvrtok 09 Február 2006 14:39 Christian N. napísal:
> I actually know people that speak "LOL" out when they laugh... ;-P
>

The perfect birthday gift for those people is a plush owl with "O RLY?"
written on it. I should also start a charity to provide people willing
to
slap sickos like that with free trouts ;) Etc.

David V.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.