Forum: Ruby on Rails acts_as_tree counter_cache behavior is different than API do

D. Taylor S. (Guest)
Before I file a ticket, I'll query ya'll about this:

The API docs for acts_as_tree's counter_cache is to create a database
column
called "children_count" to hold the counter_cache. I have enabled this
option in my model. While writing tests I wrote a test for creating
children
from the a parent:
    message = @forum_message["parent"].find
    child = message.children.create( "member_id" => 1, "forum_id" => 1,
"subject" => 'another subject', "body" => "good grief.")

This follows the the API docs pretty closely at
http://ar.rubyonrails.com/classes/ActiveRecord/Act...

However, the test fails for this reason:

  4) Error:
test_proper_creation_of_message_reply(ForumMessageTest):
ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid: PGError: ERROR:  column
"forum_messages_count" does not exist
: UPDATE forum_message SET forum_messages_count = forum_messages_count +
1
WHERE (id = 1)

The docs do not mention creating a table column based on the model name.
Is
this the now intended behavior?

Where is it documented and can the name of the column be overridden?

Thank you for any help.

D. Taylor S.
Ezra Z. (Guest)
On Feb 3, 2006, at 10:33 AM, D. Taylor S. wrote:

> This follows the the API docs pretty closely at http://
>
> Rails mailing list
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

D-

	I ran into the same problem using acts_as_tree to make a small forum
I wrote. You do have to name the *_count column after the tablename
you use it in for things to work correctly. Not sure if the docs are
just wrong or what.

Cheers
-Ezra Z.
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
D. Taylor S. (Guest)
Thanks for the response. I'll go ahead and file a ticket to fix the
documentation then.

D. Taylor S.