Forum: Ruby Displaying source code of an rhtml file

Paul J. (Guest)
Hi
I'm creating some embedded ruby web pages under Linux and Apache 2.0
and after showing what it can do I like to display the source code.
I was wondering if there is an easier way to do this than what I am
doing at present. An example is where I wish to show the line
containing
%>
Obviously just trying having a rhtml  file with % at the start of a
line means it is interpreted as ruby code so at present I am using
% print "%"
&gt

This works but is a pain. Is there a way to specify to a block of
code, don't interpret this code but simple display it in the page it
came from ?
TIA
Paul
Ross B. (Guest)
On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 18:13 +0900, Paul J. wrote:
> Hi
> I'm creating some embedded ruby web pages under Linux and Apache 2.0
> and after showing what it can do I like to display the source code.
> I was wondering if there is an easier way to do this than what I am
> doing at present. An example is where I wish to show the line
> containing

Do you mean like this?

	  <head>
	    <title>Just code</title>
	  </head>

	    <h1>Here is the code</h1>

	    <pre><code><%= ERB::Util.html_escape(File.read(__FILE__)) %>
	    </pre></code>

Alternatively, if you mean showing it in blocks you'll have to escape it
anyway, or the browsers will eat it, won't they? So just pass them
through html_escape.

Alternatively, check out Rote (http://rote.rubyforge.org) for some
ERB-based ruby-code-macro supporting syntax highlighting fun, where you
can just do:

	#:code#ruby
	class SomeClass < Other
	  def etc(&blk)
	    #...
	#:code#
unknown (Guest)
I think '<%%', and possibly '%%>',  will escape the '%' in rhtml