Forum: Ruby on Rails Zipcode Search

Siva J. (Guest)
Is there any package that I could use for zipcode search.

I want to display schools that near a particular zipcode. I have no idea
how
to do this. It will be great if anyone can point me where I could find
info

--
Rgds,
--Siva J.
> Is there any package that I could use for zipcode search.
>
>  I want to display schools that near a particular zipcode. I have no idea
> how to do this. It will be great if anyone can point me where I could find
> info

Hm.  It's probably lots easier to find a school IN a particular zip
code instead of near one.  Would that be good enough?

Joe
Adam D. (Guest)
Do you have longitude/latitude information?  I can send you the
proximity query but you need the longitude and latitude in order to
find proximity zips.

Basically what you do is find the zip code in question.  Then find all
the zipcodes X miles away and then find all the schools in that range
of zipcodes.

query looks like this

 @places = Place.find_by_sql ["select p.* from places p where ((3963.0
* acos(sin(p.latitude/57.2958) *
       sin(?/57.2958) +  cos(p.latitude/57.2958) * cos(?/57.2958) *
        cos(?/57.2958 - p.longitude/57.2958))) < ?)", lat, lat, lon,
distance]

check out this guys site, he really helped me out.

http://www.geocodeamerica.com/home/proximity

good luck
adam
Damon C. (Guest)
Adam D. <straightflush@...> writes:

> Do you have longitude/latitude information?
This was posted yesterday.  It contains a migration to give you
lat/long/zip
mapping.

http://www.jvoorhis.com/articles/2006/02/02/geocod...

-damon
Siva J. (Guest)
This is great guys. I will go through this and let you guys know abt it.

--
Rgds,
--Siva J.