Forum: Ruby Basic Rails Database Foreign Key question

unknown (Guest)
Hi, I'm still waiting on my Agile Rails book to arrive - in the
meantime ...
As an exercise I'm making a Help Desk application.
If I have a Problems table with two foreign keys to a People table, how
do I set up my models, problems_controller list method, and then simply
display, say my problem submitter person? Here is what I have so far:

Problems table with columns:
   id
   description
   submitter_id (foreign key to People id)
   assigned_to_id (foreign key to People id)
   etc

People table with columns:
   id
   name

models:
class Problem < ActiveRecord::Base
	has_many :people  ???

class Person < ActiveRecord::Base
	has_many :problems

problem_Controller:
def list
    @submitter = Person.find(params[:submitter_id]  ???

views:problems:list.rhtml
James B. (Guest)
> Hi, I'm still waiting on my Agile Rails book to arrive - in the
> meantime ...

You'll likely get better information from the Rails mailing list

http://lists.rubyonrails.org/
Timothy G. (Guest)
In the future, the rails mailing list would be a better place to post
this. This time, here's a solution:

# problem.rb

class Problem < ActiveRecord::Base
  belongs_to :submitter, :class_name => 'Person', :foreign_key =>
'submitted_id'
  belongs_to :assigned_to, :class_name => 'Person', :foreign_key =>
'assigned_to_id'
end

# end

look at
http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/As...
for full details. You can find the answer to almost every question in
the excellent API documentation available at http://api.rubyonrails.org