Forum: Ruby on Rails FYI lighttpd 1.4.9 has problems running with rails out-of-th

Zack C. (Guest)
In case this helps anyone I recently finished setting up a Debian server
closely following Ezra's excellent guidance @
http://brainspl.at/rails_stack.html.

I used newer libraries in some cases (and mysql 5.0) and everything
worked
great until the end when lighttpd wouldn't start.  I finally figured out
that Lighty 1.4.9 has a problem working with rails out-of-the-box.  See
ticket http://trac.lighttpd.net/trac/ticket/487 for more info.

Maybe this will help someone else... and thanks Ezra!

Zack
Ezra Z. (Guest)
On Feb 2, 2006, at 1:01 PM, Zack C. wrote:

> See
> ticket http://trac.lighttpd.net/trac/ticket/487 for more info.
>
> Maybe this will help someone else... and thanks Ezra!
>
> Zack

Zack-

	Thanks for the kind words. I need to update a few things in that
tutorial ;) But you are correct, in lighttpd1.4.9 you need the full
path to the public folder and the dicpatch.fcgi. The script/serer
command generates a lighttpd.conf file in RAILS_ROOT/config/
lighttpd.conf that uses relative paths. I think there is a ticket for
this somewhere but for now you need to manually edit the config file
after it gets generated the first time and add the full paths to your
stuff.

Cheers-
-Ezra Z.
Yakima Herald-Republic