Forum: Ruby irb cursor navigation

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Matt Maycock (Guest)
on 2006-02-02 18:31
(Received via mailing list)
Whenever I use irb on my OS X 10.4 box, pressing left, right, up, or
down
results in ^[[D, ^[[A, etc instead of the intended effect.  Is there a
fix?

Thank you,

~Matthew Maycock
Sascha E. (Guest)
on 2006-02-02 18:40
(Received via mailing list)
Matt Maycock wrote:
> Whenever I use irb on my OS X 10.4 box, pressing left, right, up, or down
> results in ^[[D, ^[[A, etc instead of the intended effect.  Is there a fix?

Great, I have the same problem. Was just gonna ask myself. I have it on
RedHat Linux 7.3.

-Sascha E.
Tanner B. (Guest)
on 2006-02-02 19:01
(Received via mailing list)
On 2/2/06, Sascha E. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> Matt Maycock wrote:
> > Whenever I use irb on my OS X 10.4 box, pressing left, right, up, or
> down
> > results in ^[[D, ^[[A, etc instead of the intended effect.  Is there a
> fix?
>
> Great, I have the same problem. Was just gonna ask myself. I have it on
> RedHat Linux 7.3.


It's most likely a lack of the readline library being installed.  If
you're
using the built in OSX ruby install it's recommended that you build your
own.  Search this list for a LOT more information regarding ruby and
readline.

-Sascha E.
Kelly Norton (Guest)
on 2006-02-02 19:07
(Received via mailing list)
On OS X 10.4, you are running into Apple's long standing readline
problems. There is a step-by-step fix described here:

http://tech.rufy.com/entry/46

However, there are other problems with Apple's ruby, so you may
seriously consider compiling your own.

/kel
James H. (Guest)
on 2006-02-02 19:10
(Received via mailing list)
On 2006-02-02 11:59:25 -0500, Tanner B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
said:

>> RedHat Linux 7.3.
>
>
> It's most likely a lack of the readline library being installed.  If you're
> using the built in OSX ruby install it's recommended that you build your
> own.  Search this list for a LOT more information regarding ruby and
> readline.
>
> -Sascha E.

I don't have this problem on my OS X 10.4 box.  I compiled and
installed my own copy of Ruby following these instructions >>
http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rail...
 Make sure you read the part about /usr/local linked on that page.

James
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.