Forum: Ruby Spaces in between brackets

unknown (Guest)
Can anyone explain to me why the code works:

<input id="recipe_title" name="recipe[title]"

While this code doesn't:

<input id="recipe_title" name="recipe[ title ]"

I know that most people don't put spaces in between brackets, however I
like to for readability. It seems like I can do this everywhere in Ruby
and Rails except for the name of html tag. Any thoughts on why this is?
James B. (Guest)
> and Rails except for the name of html tag. Any thoughts on why this is?

Because Rails magically converts "recipe[ title ]" into
recipe[" title "]

And " title " != "title"

But, for the future, you would do better to direct Rails questions to
the Rails mailing list.

--
James B.

Jim F. (Guest)
On Feb 2, 2006, at 9:39 AM, James B. wrote:

> Because Rails magically converts "recipe[ title ]" into
> recipe[" title "]
>
> And " title " != "title"
>
> But, for the future, you would do better to direct Rails questions
> to the Rails mailing list.

I  don't know. Seems like he got his question answered pretty well on
this list.

Jim F.
James B. (Guest)
Jim F. wrote:

> I  don't know. Seems like he got his question answered pretty well on
> this list.

Yeah, well, it happens. (And this was one of those unintuitive Rails
things that bit me, too, so I'm sympathetic.)

--
James B.

Jim F. (Guest)
On Feb 3, 2006, at 12:07 AM, James B. wrote:

>> on  this list.
>
> Yeah, well, it happens. (And this was one of those unintuitive
> Rails things that bit me, too, so I'm sympathetic.)

We need to tell those rails core folks about #strip. And, #strip! is
very fast.

Jim F.
(Guest)
Thanks for the help, I will move over to the rails list from now on.