Forum: Ruby on Rails multiple 'render :partial' in a helper ??

Alain R. (Guest)
Hi all,

I'd like to move some view code to a helper but it doesn't work because
I need to render two partials each time.
Q: Is it possible to do this with a helper?

Example:
-----------------

Before: In the view:
   <% case controller.controller_name
        when 'member' %>
		<%= render :partial => 'shared/member_menu' 	%>
		<%= render :partial => 'shared/member_submenu'  %>
         ..
    <% end %>

After: In the view:
    <%= generate_menu %>

After: in application_helper.rb (DOESN'T WORK)

def generate_menu
     case controller.controller_name
         when 'member'
              render :partial => 'shared/member_menu'   <--- HAS NO
EFFECT !!
              render :partial => 'shared/member_submenu'

problem: the 1st 'render :partial' has no effect

Alain
Jarkko L. (Guest)
Alain,

On 2.2.2006, at 13.07, Alain R. wrote:
> EFFECT !!
>              render :partial => 'shared/member_submenu'
>     end
> end
>
> problem: the 1st 'render :partial' has no effect

Remember that helpers are methods that return something, so they
can't render directly to the response like you seem to assume above.
By default they will return the last evaluated line, in this case
what your second render line returns.

You can probably concatenate the two to a single return value.

//jarkko
Alain R. (Guest)
Jarkko

Of course, you're right. What was I thinking?

       > You can probably concatenate the two to a single return value.

Yes :

def generate_menu
     case controller.controller_name
         when 'member'
              a = render :partial => 'shared/members_avantages_menu'
              b = render :partial => 'shared/member_submenu'
              a+b     <<---- CONCATENATION
          when ..

Thanks again for waking me up.

Alain