Forum: Ruby One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 preview3 is available!

Curt H. (Guest)
=== One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 preview3 is available! ===

This iteration includes the missing DBI support with the ODBC driver
(the Oracle driver is no longer included... if your need it, you'll
hvae to install that yourself).

This also fixes a problem with the ri database that prevented fxri
from working, so fxri now  works!

Only thing missing now is XMLParser (and fix any bugs you find), and
we'll have a final release.

=== One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 preview2 is available! ===

By popular demand, preview2 goes back to including SciTE as its
bundled code editor, and includes the promised upgrade of FXRuby to
1.4.4. Everything else in the preview1 announcement is still correct.

As usual, please wait for the RubyForge mirrors to synchronize before
trying to download.

Curt

== One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 preview1 is available!  ==

*NOTE* Please wait for the RubyForge mirrors to synchronize before
trying to download.

*WARNING* This preview release for Windows is incomplete. Please read
below to find out what is missing, and don't install this if that is
not usable for you.

This is a preview release of the One-Click installer for Ruby version
1.8.4. It should be usable for most people, but it is missing a few
things that will be fixed before the final release:

 - DBI: (database interface library) is not included.

 - XMLParser: This C-based XML parser (which is an
   interface to the Expat parser) is not included
   (REXML, the pure Ruby XML parser, *is* included).

 - If you levave "Enable RubyGems" selected, the RUBYOPT
   environment variable is set to "rubygem" instead of
   having having "rubygems" added to the RUBYOPT value
   (similarly, uninstalling, deletes the RUBYOPT env.
   variable).

 - Uninstalling does not remove the start menu items.

=================

Starting with this release, I have completely rewritten the build
system for the One-Click Installer while I  repeated the mantra:
simplify, simplify, simplify... This should make it easier to release
future versions of the One-Click installer more quickly. Of course,
its possible that this could introduce new problems, so please report
them here:

 http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?group_id=16...

Of course, the big change for this release is that it uses Ruby 1.8.4.
The O.-Click installer is now uses ruby-mswin32 and adds additional
extentions and applications. This means that all extension provided by
ruby-mswin32 are in the One-Click Installer. You can read about
ruby-mswin32 here:

 http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/

Everything has been compiled with MS VC++ 6.0.

Here are some other notable changes:

* The SciTE code editor has been replaced by Notepad++. Both
 are based on the Scintilla code editor component, but Notepad++
 is a little more full featured and supports editing multiple
 files in separate tabs.

* FreeRIDE (the Free Ruby IDE) has been updated to 0.9.5 and now
 features real project support.

* FXRuby has been upgraded to 1.4.3 (final release will include
 1.4.4). This also, still includes FXRuby 1.2.6 for those programs
 that still require the older version. Both are included as
 preinstalled RubyGems.

Below are the release notes.

======================================

                           Ruby Installer for Windows
                              Ruby Version 1.8.4
                             Installer Version 184-16
                        ------------------------------
                                RELEASE NOTES
                        ------------------------------

                        Contents:           Version:
                        --------            --------

                        ruby-mswin32        1.8.4
                        zlib-lib            1.2.1
                        ZLib                0.6.0
                        RubyGems            0.8.11
                        Rake                0.7.0
                        RubySrc             1.8.4
                        FXRuby              1.2.6
                        FXri                0.3.2
                        FreeRIDE            0.9.5
                        Notepad++           3.4
                        FXRuby              1.4.3
                        OpenGL              0.23b
                        GLUT                3.7.6
                        SWin                040314
                        VRuby               040306
                        Expat               1.95.8
                        HTMLParser          19990912p2
                        log4r               1.0.5
                        Programming Ruby    1st Edition
                        OpenSSL             0.9.7b-1
                        Iconv               1.8
                        readline            4.3-2
                        PDCurses            2.60-1
                        GDBM                1.8.3-1
                        Installer-Patches   1.8.4

1.  You can install overtop of an existing installation that has
the same Ruby major version number (e.g., 1.6).  Installations
up to and including 1.6.5-1 can only be uninstalled.  All versions
can co-exist peacefully (DLL's willing) in separate directories.

2. This version was compiled using Microsoft Visual C++, not Cygwin.
As a result, some I/O functionality -- particularly those involving
the Unix fork() system call and pipes -- will not work. The benefit
of using MSVC is to have a more stable and reliable version of Ruby.

Reporting Bugs
--------------

Bugs in Ruby itself should be e-mailed to removed_email_address@domain.invalid.

Bugs in the installer should be reported at:

  http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=715&group_id=16...

Make sure your problem has not already been reported, then click
on "Submit New" to create a new bug report.

Disclaimer
----------

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE.

Credits:
--------

   Yukihiro M., a.k.a Matz <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> created
   Ruby in the first place.

   Andy H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> did the original packaging
   of this installer using the Nullsoft installer (www.nullsoft.com).

   Curt H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> has been maintaining the
one-click
   installer since it moved to RubyForge.org in early 2004.

   Dave T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> translated
   the original LaTeX of "Programming Ruby" into XML
   and arranged its release under the Open Publication License.

   Bernard Delmée <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> created the Windows
Help
   version of our "Programming Ruby" book.

   Martin Ankerl <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> created fxri, a GUI
   interface to the ri documentation database.

   Martin DeMello <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> created fxirb, a GUI
   version of Ruby's console based irb (interactive ruby). fxirb
   is incorporated into Martin Ankerl's fxri.

   Lyle J. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> ported and provides the
   FXRuby GUI extension.
Glenn S. (Guest)
Curt

A BIG THANK YOU for all this work you are putting in.  It makes Ruby so
much
more accessible to people like me who just want to "install-and-go".

Ta very muchly

Glenn

--

All the best
Glenn

On 02/02/06, Curt H. wrote:
One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 preview3 is available
Glenn S. (Guest)
OK, GMail went a bit mad there - seems I thanked him and thanked him and
thanked him and ...

On 02/02/06, Glenn S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> On 02/02/06, Curt H. wrote:
> One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 preview3 is available

--

All the best
Glenn
Aylesbury, UK
Curt H. (Guest)
Your welcome, your welcome, your welcome, your welcome, your welcome,

I threw in a couple extra, just in case!  ;-)

Seriously, I appreciate the kind words.

Curt
James B. (Guest)
Curt H. wrote:
> === One-Click Ruby Installer 184-16 preview3 is available! ===

My apologies if this bug has already been reported:

I ran the installer, and unclicked the options for each of the bundled
editors (I'm happy using Vim).  All seemed fine, until I noticed that if
I right-clicked on a file, and hit 'e' for Edit, I would be prompted for
what app to use to open the file (instead of simply launching Vim).

It turns out that the file association had been changed to use Scite,
which was (by choice) not installed.

But it otherwise rocks, and thanks for the great work.

--
James B.

Curt H. (Guest)
On 2/16/06, James B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> It turns out that the file association had been changed to use Scite,
> which was (by choice) not installed.

No, this hasn't been reported yet... Thanks!

> But it otherwise rocks, and thanks for the great work.

Double thanks!!  :-)

Curt
Joel VanderWerf (Guest)
Curt,

I notice with the new preview that my RUBYOPT still gets clobbered. (I
have an r/local option that loads C:\local.rb, which adds several paths
to $LOAD_PATH.)

ISTR this was mentioned before, but I don't remember, is this something
that can be fixed? A minor annoyance, but still...
Curt H. (Guest)
On 2/17/06, Joel VanderWerf <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Curt,
>
> I notice with the new preview that my RUBYOPT still gets clobbered. (I
> have an r/local option that loads C:\local.rb, which adds several paths
> to $LOAD_PATH.)
>
> ISTR this was mentioned before, but I don't remember, is this something
> that can be fixed? A minor annoyance, but still...

Yes, its going to be fixed -- its a known bug.

Curt