Forum: Ruby Rails + Oracle

Robert H. (Guest)
I have tried every connection string on the Rails site and it will not
connect. I can create a regular dbi script and connect and pull out
data.

If someone is using Rails + Oracle can you post the relevent portions
of your connection string? Please?!

Robert
Michael Schoen (Guest)
Robert H. wrote:
> I have tried every connection string on the Rails site and it will not
> connect. I can create a regular dbi script and connect and pull out
> data.
>
> If someone is using Rails + Oracle can you post the relevent portions
> of your connection string? Please?!

Not sure what you're looking for. If you can connect to the database
using sqlplus:

	$ sqlplus user/pass@dbhost

then the following database.yml entry should work for you:

   development:
     adapter: oci
     host: dbhost
     username: user
     password: pass
Steven L. (Guest)
"Robert H." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:
> I have tried every connection string on the Rails site and it will not
> connect. I can create a regular dbi script and connect and pull out
> data.
>
> If someone is using Rails + Oracle can you post the relevent portions
> of your connection string? Please?!
>
> Robert

Problem is, there are SO many ways to configure Oracle.  The following
simple thing works for me:

development:
  adapter: oci
  database: SID
  host: SID
  username: scott
  password: tiger

(I believe 'database' isn't actually used.) Then I have this in
tnsnames.ora:

SID =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = host.domain.edu)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = sid)
    )
  )

On my Powerbook, HOST = localhost because I tunnel the database
connection over SSH.

Steve
Robert H. (Guest)
I will try those but I believe I already have to no avail. I will try
and see.

Robert
Wilson B. (Guest)
On 2/3/06, Robert H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I will try those but I believe I already have to no avail. I will try
> and see.

If all else fails, strip the newlines from a full TNSNAMES.ORA entry,
and put it on the host line.
I've had to do that on crazy instantclient servers in the past.