Forum: Ruby on Rails RE: Spring-rich killer: rails rich-client proposal

Joseph G. (Guest)
Hello,
I am not trying to suggest any particular technologies as yet as I'm
more just trying to see who would be interested in such a project.  If I
can get enough interest (i.e. more than myself) I will go along with
anything anyone suggests but I think the technical aspirations of such a
project are important and am ready to sharpen my elbows as such.
BR_joe
Jon S. (Guest)
On 1/31/06, Joseph G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am not trying to suggest any particular technologies as yet as I'm
> more just trying to see who would be interested in such a project.  If I
> can get enough interest (i.e. more than myself) I will go along with
> anything anyone suggests but I think the technical aspirations of such a
> project are important and am ready to sharpen my elbows as such.
> BR_joe

You don't need to do anything to XUL runner if you don't mind writing
the front-end scripts in Javascript/C/C++. Set Ruby up as a server
with WEBrick and use XUL to talk to it with http. XUL is like HTML but
with more controls available. Handle the XUL events with Javascript
and you can start writing your app tomorrow. Optionally, if instead
you want to script the XUL using Ruby, you need to get Ruby XPCOM
bindings working.

Mozilla Foundation is converting Firefox to run on XUL runner. It is
scheduled to be released about a year from now. The work is already
underway so it the conversion is going to happen for sure. You don't
need to do anything on the Firefox project the Mozilla staff is doing
all the work. The advantage to you is that a year from now everyone
who installs Firefox is also installing the XUL runner run-time. That
means there is a lot less to install for your app.

--
Jon S.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid