Forum: Ruby on Rails lightpd / fcgi / RoR setup

Jim N. (Guest)

I'm running RoR and have set it up more or less like described in the
wiki (for instance here
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/LighttpdWi...).

I can start the fcgi listener and see that ports 7000-7004 are
listening.  I can start lighttpd, and try to connect to the server.  I
can restart the default.fcgi listening scripts that i see in "ps ax |
grep fcgi". It serves the index page fine, but when I go to my generated
controller (http://localhost/foo/hello), empty response.  No error
message, no default controller text (Foo#hello, etc.).  Nothing.

Nothing in the lighttpd logs or the rails app logs to indicate what's
happening.

Just nothing.

Any help at all appreciated!

Oh, one more thing, might be unimportant:
irb(main):001:0> RailsFCGIHandler.process!
NameError: uninitialized constant RailsFCGIHandler
         from (irb):1

Regards,
Jim

Setup:
RoR 1.0, Linux, lighttpd 1.4.9, gem fcgi (0.8.6.1).

dispatch.fcgi looks like:
#!/usr/bin/ruby
require File.dirname(__FILE__) + "/../config/environment"
require 'fcgi_handler'
RailsFCGIHandler.process!
Ezra Z. (Guest)
Jim-

	Try to delete all of your /tmp/ruby-sess*  files and restart lighty.
That usually does the trick when you get the BSORD(blank screen of
rails death) ;-0

	Also sometimes its a database connection thing. Or it has happened
to me a few times of i was requiring a file in environment.rb that
wasn't there or the path was wrong.

	It is my strong opinion that instead of throwing up a BSORD rails
should have kittens all over the log files and stderr. It reallt
sucks to get a blank screen and *no* log messages anywhere. I am not
sure why this happens though so I'm sure its a hard problem to solve.

Cheers-
-Ezra

On Jan 31, 2006, at 3:09 PM, Jim N. wrote:

> generated
> Oh, one more thing, might be unimportant:

-Ezra Z.
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
James Nachlin (Guest)
Ezra Z. wrote:
> Jim-
>
>     Try to delete all of your /tmp/ruby-sess*  files and restart
> lighty.  That usually does the trick when you get the BSORD(blank screen
> of  rails death) ;-0

I could kiss you!

>     Also sometimes its a database connection thing. Or it has happened
> to me a few times of i was requiring a file in environment.rb that
> wasn't there or the path was wrong.

So you're saying that an application error, rather than a lighttpd
config error, could cause this.  Interesting.

>     It is my strong opinion that instead of throwing up a BSORD rails
> should have kittens all over the log files and stderr. It reallt  sucks
> to get a blank screen and *no* log messages anywhere. I am not  sure why
> this happens though so I'm sure its a hard problem to solve.

I agree.  There should be a more verbose debugging mode at least, but
maybe there is one and I haven't seen it.

Thanks again,
Jim